Upgrade gfx card..?? Opinions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP-1800

Running a GeForce 2 64MB Ultra with Win98SE/XP1800/256MB ddr/20Gb hdd/SB Live 1024 Value.
Looking to increase the power of my gfx card as UT2K3 runs fine, but MOHAA + Spearhead can be a bit jerky sometimes.
What would......and I value all your opinions...........a decent upgrade be for my Ultra. Can't quite run to a GF4 Ti 4600, But would a GF3 make a difference ??
Looking (as always) to keep costs down but improve performance...:)
Many thanks.

gforce 3 ti 200 or 500, 200 overclocks very well.

Or a gforce 4 ti 4200, damn good for the money

XP-1800

Many thanks brianF.
I think a GF4 Ti 4200 is out of my price range......even on ebay they are about £120, so might try and find a GF3 flavour......would I notice an improvement using a gf3 as I did upgrading from my voodoo 3500 to the gf2 ultra ??
Or should I sell my body on the streets to raise cash for a gf4 Ti jobbie...??:)
P.S. I have tried overclocking, and found that I can up my fsb speed to say 138mhz to give me a clock speed of 1600mhz, but if I up the speeds on my Ultra card the puter throws a wobbly and refuses to start :( I have to take out the cmos battery to reset the bios to restart the puter. I am a complete novice with overclocking and had a fiddle to see what happened !! It seems I can either o/clock the mobo or the gfx card but not both at the same time.
Oh it is an Abit KR7A board (non-raid). Decided that messing about trying to o/clock didn't go down very well with the puter and have reverted back to normal settings.
That's life.........:cool:

Gforce3 is a huge improvement over the gforce 2 in my opinion.
As far as the overclocking it's possible you either need to bump up the 3.3volt i/o voltage or the cpu voltage by .1 volts. It just may start, not for sure though. When you start overclocking everything the voltages need to be bumped up a little bit to compensate.

How 'bout a nice cheap upgrade on that DDR RAM. I'm sure you'd see an improvment with a better vid card but I'll bet another 128 to 256 mb of DDR would help to. XP needs 128 just to run right, that doesn't leave much for your games & apps.

XP-1800

Very many thanks flyeater and brianF for your interest.
Perhaps another stick of 256MB DDR to give me 512MB total would make a bit of a difference and help mohaa along.
Looks like I am going to have to sell myself on the streets to get more memory and a GF3..........:D
Tis funny because of the games I thought it would be the full version of UT2K3 that would cause the puter to cough on a GF2 Ultra card and not mohaa + spearhead.......:)

It's a shame to see what PC hardware/software go for in the U.K. and Europe. My only gripe about prices here is that they fall so fast I wonder if I shouldn't have waited two more days. Granted RAM prices swing a little but $80 USD for 128mb of DDR isn't bad.

XP-1800

Hi flyeater,
Perhaps I should move to the USA.....:)
Just looking at prices for memory here........roughly £47 for 256MB DDR, so perhaps I might sell my body and buy some and see if that helps the puter along.....bit cheaper option than a new gfx card....:)

XP-1800

Many thanks RSM123,
It will give me pleasant reading, but have given up on the idea of getting a new gfx card...........nearly sold my soul to get a MSI GF4 128MB Ti 4200, but settled for another stick of 256MB DDR memory, so have 512MB installed now.........lets hope I notice the benefit.....:)
Thanks for your interest.

At present I am using Geforce 2 mx 32mb with tv/ out.

I upgraded my ram from 320 to 512 and it has offered me a slight improvement but ultimately a new card will be needed.

Personally I will go for to Ti4200.

The new Geforce FX will be just too expensive to be worth it :)

And selling myself wouldn't help - I end up offering a refund :) :)

RSM123.

XP-1800

And selling myself wouldn't help - I end up offering a refund
Which is prexactly why I am Ti4200less............:D
I have noticed (I think) an improvement in playing mohaa spearhead and can turn up the details to high etc without the game jerking.
Early days yet, but there seems to be an improvement....so there darn well should be since I forked out £59 for a stick of 256MB DDR PC2100 from my local pc shop. Yup could get it a bit cheaper, but with postage etc to I.O.W. there seemed to be only a few quid in it, and I didn't have to wait until Monday to whack it into the puter to try it........:cool:
Any tips on getting the best out of my gf2 ultra in 'settings/bios' etc ??

Personally I have MOHAA - never had any probs.

My main game though is Op Flashpioint which laaaags greatly with too many units in game. New card would solve that for sure.

Two courses of action :

1)Use http://www.google.com for search to find graphics tips.

2)Contact Ann Widdecombe about financial assistance.

Please post back results of either :) :) :)

A GeForce 4 Ti4200 is only $110 on pricewatch.com
Which is only $9 more than a GeForce 3 Ti500 ($101)
For that small of an increase, I'd suggest getting it.
As for the RAM, 256mb should be just fine for you (even with XP).

I think the problem with the above is for us UK residents we have to pay customs duty / import tax on any item imported from o/s country (as everyone else does I know.) So unless the item was available from a UK supplier - the cheaper cost benefit would be negated by import duty.

No - I think contacting Ann Widdecombe is your only solution :D

Have A Good Weekend.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online