1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade gone awry...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtszyk, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtszyk

mtszyk Thread Starter

Hey there,

I built my computer a few years ago, and decided to upgrade it to get another year out of it before I donate it to my parents, and when I decided to upgrade I had some issues. (Tl;dr at bottom)

Prior to upgrade:
    550 W PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Some random Nvidia Geforce 8600
    3GB Ram

My upgrades were
    Antec 750 W PSU
    AMD Athlon II X3
    Galaxy Geforce GTX 465

So anyway. When I first upgraded, I installed the CPU and Graphics card, but didn't yet have the PSU and realized I couldn't actually hook up the new video card with my old power supply (Lacked the PCI-E power cables), so I just left it. I believe (This was a while ago, so I forget exactly the chain of events) that I attempted to have my old card in,with the new CPU. It did not boot. I figured okay, Maybe I don't have enough power... even though I have my doubts.

Install new graphics card and PSU... still no boot. Tinker with things, reset CMOS, etc, and eventually it boots. Okay, cool. Whatever, that's hardware I suppose.

Then I got a blue screen, whoops. Over a few days I lightly tinkered with it, but I was also in the process of moving to a new apartment so I didn't get to play that much.

Eventually, i just hit the switch and it turns on for no issues! Awesome.

Two months later, BSOD, and the same exact issues. Well, crap.

I switch out the new video card for the old one, same issue. Swap out CPU, same issue. I have not swapped out the PSU because it is quite a pain, and the issue started before I installed it.

Anyway, when I boot it there is no beep, no post, nothing. The fans whirl and the LEDs come on, but that is it.

Whelp, okay. Lets take out the RAM to see if we can force a RAM beep. I got a beep, but the beep for "Swap your video card out." (Long short short, award bios)

So, the situation is this:
    The computer does not boot. No post, no beeps.
    I leave RAM in, nothing as stated.
    I take RAM out, video card error beep code with either new or old card, in either of the PCI-E slots.

So, I'm thinking replace the motherboard, but I don't want to spend more money without a second opinion.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. mtszyk

mtszyk Thread Starter

Right, it won't boot with either CPU. I am running BIOS 5001, and I agree that it is not the best board for an AM3. However, I basically figured that I would try it, and if it failed then I would hold on to it for my next build. Thing is the upgrades worked for a few months. The plan was to swap it out when I do my next build anyway, and give this one away.

So right now the box has only the upgraded PSU and will not boot. I suppose I'll try the old one?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, I would try all the old parts.

5. mtszyk

mtszyk Thread Starter

Took me a while but I got some time to try out the old PSU, same issue. That was the only part I had not switched out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice