1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BIGxRED, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BIGxRED

BIGxRED Thread Starter

I have an Omen desktop 870-224, with a 1060 GPU. Need a new graphics card and am clueless on what to look for in a purchase, and what not to. I need at least a 1080 if possible.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP OMEN 870-224 Desktop PC (support site)

It comes with these hardware specs:
    HP Odense2-K motherboard
    Intel Core i5-7400 3.00 GHz quad core processor
    cpu.JPG
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB graphic card
    gpu.JPG
    8 GB DDR4-2133 RAM
    500W power supply

---------------------------------------------------------------

The current graphic card is already handicapped because of the processor, so upgrading to a more powerful graphic card is a waste of time and money.
    You should consider maxing out the motherboard with 16 GB of DDR4-2133 RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. BIGxRED

BIGxRED Thread Starter

I guess I should have put this in the original post, but I have 16 GB of RAM and recently upgraded to an i7 7700 processor.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for clarifying that you've already maxed it out with 16 GB of RAM, and that you've also upgraded to an Intel Core i7-7700 processor.

These are the performance scores of that processor and of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080[/b] graphic card that you want to upgrade to.
    Clipboard.jpg

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but I still feel you should stick with your current NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphic card.

That's my "2 cents worth" of advice, so I'll leave you to the hardware/gaming experts.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice