1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade hard drive - need recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yankee Rose, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose Thread Starter

Hey guys - as usual, your opinions are valued. I want to upgrade the hard drive on an HP 6343 system. It currently has a 4 GB, and I'm wanting to upgrade to 10 GB. Any recommendations on the brand HD I should get? Thanks!

2. JerryM

JerryM

Jody, Try going to http://www.pricewatch.com
    Then go shopping for a hard drive...
    Personal preferences vary on HDD the same as on preferences for cars and other things.

Western Digital is a good Brand, but then so is Samsung. Currently I have an IBM, When I bought it, it was advertised as a Samsung, but was switched prior to delivery. It has been stable. Before this I would have stayed away from it.. but this has been stable.

What that shows is, you can get a cheap brand and have EXCELLENT service from it, and you can go out and buy a VERY expensive brand and have nothing but heartache .. go figure.

Do go to pricewatch. They show a wide variety of items, and prices from all over the net.

Generally also includes Shipping prices avg. so that you Know what to expect. Good Luck

Also Personally I would not even consider a hard drive LESS than 20 gig. the price difference for a 10 gig and a 20 gig are almost negligible, $1.00 to $5.00. But the size in Gigs is great.

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

hi jody

there is no real difference in hd performance these days except in scissiland where there are still better makes than others

you might just find that 10 gig is actualy dearer than a 20 gig or 40 gig in different shops

you might find it quite hard in fact to get a 10 gig drive

I would reccomend a 40g min at no more than £50/55

4. JerryM

JerryM

The 40 gig would be great, but.. sometimes on older MB there are limitations. One the 40 gig almost has to be placed conveniently as a secondary drive.
    Because you have to run installation software on each boot for the OS to recognise it.
    The first time is to configure it, and after it runs prior to the OS being installed. So that you do not even know it is being run.
    Bu then this is only on boards that do NOT recognise the larger HDD.

They are fantastic for storage mediums for photos, music, programs, complete backup for main drive. Etc. etc.

However, I also noticed that Jody lives in the US, and is not using the English £, Which is one reason also I suggested to look at Pricewatch. The great majority of deals offered were located in the US.
    Notice though, if your current 4 gig is in good condition, when you purchase another HDD, put the NEW HDD in a secondary Slave position in your computer.
    Maintain the 4 gig as your main HDD primary.
    4 gigs is good, because it takes far less time to scandisk and defrag. But also sufficient for a few programs. after purchase of new HDD conisder when installing programs to isntall them to the secondary 'NEW' drive.

5. JerryM

JerryM

Hard Drives Links Quotes @9:50 - 1/25 See Brands
    $30 - Pen Drive
    $258 EIDE 160GB............. $203 EIDE 120GB
    $193 - EIDE 100GB............$114 - EIDE 80.0GB
    $198 - EIDE 75.0GB ..........$85 EIDE 60.0GB
    $79 - EIDE 45.0GB ............$67 - EIDE 40.0GB
    $70 - EIDE 30.7GB ............$70 - EIDE 30.0GB
    $61 - EIDE 25.0GB ............$58 - EIDE 20.0GB
    $30 - USB Pocket ............$273 - USB 100GB
    $205 - USB 80.0GB ............$162 - USB 60.0GB
    $137 - USB 40.0GB ............$138 - USB 30.0GB
    $123 - USB 20.0GB ............$118 - USB 13.0GB
    $118 - USB 10.0GB ............$39 - USB 64MB
    $32 - USB 32MB .................$30 - USB 16MB
    $1249 - SCSI 181.6GB .......$375 - SCSI 73.4GB
    $389 - SCSI 50.0GB ...........$498 - SCSI 47.0GB
    $168 - SCSI 36.7GB ...........$168 - SCSI 36.4GB
    $66 - SCSI Ultra160 ...........$159 - Firewire Pocket
    $309 - Firewire 120GB .......$280 - Firewire 100.0GB
    $205 - Firewire 80.0GB ......$166 - Firewire 60.0GB
    $140 - Firewire 40.0GB ......$169 - Firewire 30.0GB
    $148 - Firewire 20.0GB ......$3039 Attached 320GB
    $3569 - Attached 300GB ...$804 - Attached
    $379 - Array .......................$248 - 15000rpm
    $39 - 10000rpm .................$159 - Stackable
    $112 - SGI .........................$56 - RAID
    $68 - Pluggable .................$39 - Fibre Channel
    $89 - External ...................$1399 - Serveraid

http.www.pricewatch.com

6. Yankee Rose

Thanks for all the information - and promptness! The system I'm wanting to upgrade is for a friend of mine. He said a 10 GB would be plenty big. If I installed the new 10 GB as a Secondary Slave, would I have to install the same OS on it? I guess I am a bit confused about when you have 2 hard drives on a system - should they both have the same OS installed in order to use them? THANKS!

7. Monk_

Monk_

If you are using the new drive as a slave, just for storage, no OS is needed just fdisk and format the drive. Be sure to set the jumper on the drive to slave.

I use Seagate drives, you can get a 20GB Barracuda for $100.00 or a U-Series for 90.00

8. JerryM

JerryM

After you have found the 10 gig, which IS what your friend wanted.. Ok.
    Inside your cabinet, you have
    . one cable going to your Current HDD.
    . one going to your CD drive,
    . and the other which is a different Type of cable going to your FD

Ok. on your HDD drives, regardless of size they have on one end a way to configure them according to pin conifguration
    On the label of the drive descripes how to conifgure them.

Do not change the configuration for the HDD already connected.
    Check the cable and see if it has two ( only one connecter on each end) or three connectors (with one in the middle).
    . two connectors buy another ide cable that has three connectors
    . three connectors then you are all set.

Write down the information from the cable
    HDD type, sectors, heads, etc.etc. you might need it later.

Using the label on the new HDD configure the new 10 gig as a secondary HDD. Then with computer totally shut down, and power disconnected, connect this drive to the end connector on the cable.

When you boot, as the computer is booting, use the key combinations needed to enter the computer bios.
    Usually while it is showing the dos load up seeking screen enter
    Del
    F10
    etc.etc. depending on the manuafacturer of your computer.

While in Bios do an automatic search for HDD to find the new drive. If it does not find it, OR if it does not have auto search ability, then you have to manually feed in the information written down from the hard drive. If you did not write it down , then take the computer back apart and write it down...

After the computer bios is configured, then exit and boot to dos using the Dos Boot disk from windows.

In Dos, the first thing to do is to FDISK your new drive.
    Enter the command at the a: prompt FDisk.
    Proceed to change to the D: drive, and eliminate all partitions on the drive, if any, then to create new DOS partition, after dos partition is created, exit. reboot to same dos boot disk.
    Format d:
    and you are done. Good luck.

9. Yankee Rose

Thanks, Jerry! That information is extremely helpful. I appreciate it!

10. JerryM

JerryM

From the way you were asking for more details, I decided it was best to not just stop at what you asked for.

Sorry for the heavy tones and extra details... Old Habits..:)

But I still think that the 10 gigs are definately over priced, and more value to go for the 20 gig HDD. but that is just a shared opinion form most of the people dealing with computers nowadays... Enjoy, and take care.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice