1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

i want to upgrade my hard drive from its existing 40 GB capacity to a new hard drive that is 80 GB capacity. The old one is the master drive, and nothing is in the slave. I basically just want to put all the data from the old hard drive to to the new one, so how would i go about doing that? i heard about installing the new one as the slave and then transferring the files from the old one to the new, and then removing both drives and putting the new one in the master slot. if this works, a detailed explanation of how to do this would be most helpful. thanx.

2. deuce

deuce

and then unplug the modem line or cat5 ethernet line, unplug the power cord (or sitch the standby power switch to off... it's right by the power cord on the back) and touch the power supply (or any area of the chasis that is bare metal) with your finger. This discharges any possible static electric charge that can build up in your body. Hard drives (and any computer component for that matter) are extremely sensitive equipment so you don't want to risk damaging it if it can be helping by simply discharging your static charge. You can't hurt anything in there as long as you follow these steps, but I am just stressing this because no one ever believes me how important it is to unplug and discharge yourt static buildup.

Once you do that...

Keep the 40 in as primary master. Put the 80 in as primary slave and jumper accordingly. When you start, it might help to press del or F10 right after the memory check to make sure both drives are registering in your bios. If they are, put the manufacture's imaging software in your floppy and then exit your bios. From there, everything is basically automatic... you just need to sit and push buttons when prompted to. The disk will boot and start the software. It will go through the steps (which I can't explain exactly because I don't know what manufacture it is) and it explains everything for you. You will need to format the 80 first. You will want to choose fat32 if you are installing a windows OS such as winXp. With 80 GB, it might be wise to make at least two partitions, but that is up to you. Making multiple partitions can yield possibly 2 to 3 GB minimun of more space per partition than having one 80 GB partition. (that is because of slack space)

After selecting the format, you make the partitions however you wish. Then the software will copy an exact image of the 40 onto the main partition on the 80. When that is all complete, shut down and unplug and do all that business again (don't forget the power supply ;)) and then disconnect the 40, jumper the 80 to master and position it as the primary master, and everything is done it should now boot just like the old 40, just with double the space. If you want to use the 40 for extra storage, then you should make sure everything is ok on the 80 (just poke around in windows to make sure) then from windows (my computer) you can format the 40 and give you the full drive to use as extra storage. You can format it by right-clicking on the 40 (should be D: ) and clicking "format" and following the instructions.

Hope that helped... :cool:

3. starwolf39

ok one question though... my comp is HP and shipped with Windows ME. However, I upgraded it to XP, so should I use the WinME manufactoring disk like you said or the new XP one? If I use the manufactoring one, will I be able to put XP on the new drive?

4. jakoval

jakoval

I believe what deuce_mn is saying is to use the drive manufacturer's software to set up your new drive. You should have gotten a disk with software with the drive; if not you should be able to go to their website and download what you need.

5. deuce

deuce

I'm sorry.. I was refering to the manufacturer of the new hard drive. If it is a Western Digital, you should have gotten a disk that says "Data Lifeguard Tools". If you got a Maxtor or a Quantum, you should have gotten a disk that says "MaxBlast". With a Seagate, "Disk Wizzard". As jakoval said, if for some reason you didn't get it, you can downlaod it off their website and save it on a disk. If the Xp is already on the 40 GB hard drive, then it will be on the new one when you image it. The software you use makes the new drive an exact clone of the old drive.

6. starwolf39

yes i believe i understand which disk he means, i think. the thing is, when i installed windows XP i had to modify a lot of programs and stuff. so i want to know if its possible just to copy exactly what's on my current hard drive to the slave drive (new one). when i upgraded to XP, i needed to use an activiation key and everything, which stops u from re using the CD, so i'm wondering if i can get XP on the new drive if i did it the way u are suggesting.

7. jakoval

jakoval

That's what the drive manufacturer's software is supposed to do - create an exact copy of your original drive to the new one.
    As I understand XP product activation, if the only change to your system is the new HD, you shouldn't have to reactivate your XP installation.

8. deuce

deuce

Well starwolf, the thing with Xp is, if you change enough of your hardware, you have to reactivate your license. Although I haven't imaged a Xp disc before, there shouldn't be a problem. If you use the software provided with the hard drive, the 80 GB will be an EXACT copy of the 40 GB. Hopefully the Xpee will let you transfer hard drives, but like I said, there shouldn't be a problem... but if microsoft has their way, there might be. :rolleyes:

9. deuce

deuce

Microsoft went way overboard with security on Xpee. See, having the product activation that only allows you to install each licensed copy on ONE pc doesn't work if you can just install it, and then clone the Xp drive and now you found a loop hole in the product activation and the whole deal is useless. My concern is that when you image the drive and the Xp figures out it is on a new drive, it might lock it out or something... so make absolutely sure everything works on the 80 before you format the 40. If it is deactivated or locked out... from what I hear is all you have to do is contact microsoft and explain it to them and have them reactivate it for you... which then might deactivate the copy that is on the 40 GB. All this security with Xpee is really bothersome... but what can you do? :rolleyes: You'd think that microsoft has enough money already that they wouldn't be so worried with security. That is one of the only things I hate about Xp. From what I hear, it is an incredible OS and very stable. I just don't like how they make the networking on Xpee Home very limited to make you have to buy the Pro (which is at least $100 more), and I don't like all the security which makes a hassel out of a lot of things that otherwise aren't. :( :mad:

edit: ...well, I guess it's UNIX for me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice