1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

i got an HP Pavilion 7960, which comes with a 40 GB hard drive. i want to upgrade it, and I've been looking into the 100 GB and 120 GB Western Digital hard drives. Will there be any complications in changing them, meaning is this whole the compatibile and all?
    what does OEM bare drive mean also?

2. brianF

brianF

see this maybe it will answer your question, worse comes to worse you would have to use datalifegaurd tools
    http://www.wdc.com/support/tips/index.asp?tip=69

oem bare means you get just the drive, no documentation, box, etc. The documentation can be downloaded from western digital.

3. starwolf39

im running XP so i see that there isn't much of a problem with recognizing large capacity hard drives. what i mean is, are there any special cables that i need to buy if i was to switch hard drives listed above? i believe that the western digital is EIDE, which i'm not sure thats what i have now. whats the difference between EIDE and SCSI, and is it possible to switch from EIDE to SCSI and vice versa?

4. n2gun

n2gun

there is a big difference between eide and scsi. if you have a eide drive now you would have to buy a scsi controoler card which last time I priced one was $100 just for the card. chances are very good that you now have a eide drive in your computer along with the controller card. They definitely are not interchangeable. you can go to the site below and run Belarc and it should tell what you have.

http://www.belarc.com

It is a free download.

5. n2gun

n2gun

go to my computer on desktop and click it... then click on control panel then system on the box that comes up you will see a tab that says Device Manager .. click that and look on the list for hard drive then click on the + and open it up if it says ide controller there you have an ide or eide drive now

6. starwolf39

i used the belarc program and it says that i have primary and secondary IDE controller installed, so that means that I can change my hard drive to a western digital that is EIDE and everything will be OK, right? is there a difference between IDE and EIDE?

7. n2gun

n2gun

EIDE is just an improvement in ide tecnnology and should work just fine for you. Good luck and any problems post back

8. faith

faith

If you get to the point where you're looking to buy, CompUSA has Western Digital 100 GB 7200 RPM hard drives for $20 off at the register and a $50 rebate until 3/2. So your price ends up being around $180.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice