1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade help required please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StitchTheChi, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StitchTheChi

StitchTheChi Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I’m relatively new to computers and even more so to gaming, now I’m told my set up is not bad (I know little about hardware) however, I would like to upgrade as there are several games I would like to play and can’t.
    I would appreciate any advice you could give me on what to purchase and prices to expect so not to get ripped of or make a bad choice.
    These are my specs, if you need more info let me know, though you might have to tell me how to find it. :eek:

XP Pro 2002 SP 3
    Intel Pentium Duel CPU
    E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
    2.22GHz, 2.00 of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series

Thanks in advance.

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

What games are you looking to play? Some more specifics would be nice such as motherboard models, etc. These are pretty basic specs.

3. StitchTheChi

WOW you guys are fast! lol
    Sorry about the basic specs but as I mentioned, I’m pretty new to all this. I have an Asus P5KPL-C/1600 motherboard.
    As for the games, some that come to mind right now are Assassins Creed II, Assault on dark Athena.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Looks like you need at least a better video card, and a better CPU would help as well for both games.

Open up your case and check the label on your power supply, whats the brand and wattage of the unit?

Also whats your budget?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For video cards:

You need at least this 9800GT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130535

But this would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127494

And you can still go better depending on your budget.

For CPU any of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deValue=507:22264&PropertyCodeValue=507:27216

Edit: Actually not all of those may work. Open up the case and check the revision of your motherboard; it'll say P5KPL-1600 REV 2.03 or something similar. Not all the revisions support all those CPU's.

6. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Was this a manufacturer built computer (Dell, HP, etc.)? If so can you give us the model #? Triple6 has good suggestions but you'd want to know what specific Motherboard you had - unless i'm blind and am not seeing it. Also - As Triple6 said, what's your budget? That will determine quite a bit.

7. StitchTheChi

Ok, I will get on to that in as soon as i get back from work, i'm running late and have no time to open up the case right now, but as soon as I get back I will give you all the info you need.
    Seems I need more then I though, I thought it might just need a graphics card. (sigh)

8. StitchTheChi

OK, I retract what I said about knowing “little” about this and change it for “nothing” :eek:
    Sorry guys, I will do my best to give you the info you need.
    Not long ago my motherboard burnt out, I explained to the tech guy at my pc shop I wanted a better pc for games and suggested this board however it would need a better power supply. I can’t see any brand name on it but it states 460 W
    Darn almost needed a magnifying glass for this one P5KPL-1600 REV 2.01 G
    This next info might be obsolete to you but just in case it helps…
    I have a dual core but the motherboard manual states it support Quad
    *stable overclocking with highest FSB
    *64-bit CPU support
    *PCI Express interface
    *DDR2 memory support
    *Serial ATA 3Gb/s technology

I hope this all helps, if not, I’m in sunny Tenerife…how about a holiday out here to set this computer illiterate up with a decent comp : P lol

A big thank you to all for taking the time helping me out!

9. StitchTheChi

Oh and the budget, i have about 250 € spare but willing to wait and save, though wouldn't want to spend much more then 400 €.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not good when there's no brand on it. Does it have a sticker with voltages and their corresponding amps? What does it list for +12 volts? May be more then one?

Do you know of any website that sell computer parts in your location or that ship to your location?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Requirements for Assassins Creed II: http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=012510_6

Minimum Configuration:

* Supported OS: Windows® XP (32-64 bits) /Windows Vista®(32-64 bits)/Windows 7® (32-64 bits)
    * Processor: Intel Core® 2 Duo 1.8 GHZ or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4GHZ
    * RAM: 1.5 GB Windows® XP / 2 GB Windows Vista® - Windows 7®
    * Video Card: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0–compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (see supported list)
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9.0 –compliant sound card
    * DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0
    * DVD-ROM: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
    * Hard Drive Space: 8 GB
    * Peripherals Supported: Keyboard, mouse, optional controller

* This product does not support Windows® 98/ME/2000/NT

Recommended Configuration:

* Processor: Intel Core® 2 Duo E6700 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ or better
    * Video Card: GeForce 8800 GT or ATI Radeon HD 4700 or better
    * Sound: 5.1 sound card
    * Peripherals: Keyboard, mouse, joystick optional (Xbox 360® Controller for Windows recommended)

Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:

* ATI® RADEON® X1950, HD 2000/3000/4000/5000 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce® 7/8/9/100/200 series

Requirements for Assault on Dark Athena: http://www.direct2drive.com/7869/pr...s-of-Riddick:-Assault-on-Dark-Athena-Download

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Download Minimum System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Vista Operating System
    * ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra or better
    * Intel Pentium D 805 or AMD Athlon X2 +3800
    * 1 GB of available system memory (2 GB for Vista)
    * 11 GB of available of hard drive space
    * DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card
    * Keyboard, mouse or dual-analog gamepad
    * Multiplayer support using LAN with TCP/IP protocol or established internet connection (DSL or cable required)
    * Internet connection required for first-time authentication (connection not required after authentication)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Download Recommended System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Vista Operating System
    * ATI Radeon HD 3850 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or better
    * Intel Core2 Duo 1.8GHz or AMD Athlon X2 +5200
    * 2 GB of available system memory
    * 11 GB of available of hard drive space
    * DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card
    * Keyboard, mouse or dual-analog gamepad
    * Multiplayer support using LAN with TCP/IP protocol or established internet connection (DSL or cable required)
    * Internet connection required for first-time authentication (connection not required after authentication)

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Assassin Creed II calls for a Core 2 Duo for minimum spec, and pretty fast Cor 2 Duo for Recommended. Assault on Dark Athena recommends a Core 2 Duo. The Pentium Dual core is below the Core 2 family in performance.

The 8800GT is the recommended card for both games - the 9800GT is the near identical replacement for the 8800GT.

Just to confirm, and according the printed info on the motherboard, do you have the P5KPL-C/1600, the P5KPL-C, or the P5KPL-1600?

13. StitchTheChi

OK, I looked again but really can’t see a brand name.
    Just PC case 460W
    The sticker is there and +12V had 16A by it
    And the motherboard is
    P5KPL-C/1600

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need a now power supply as well. 16 amps on the +12 volt is a joke, not enough for any modern gaming graphics card.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice