1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NilAdmirari, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NilAdmirari

NilAdmirari Thread Starter

I upgraded to Win XP from Win ME and XP managed to fix ALOT of the issues I was having with ME. Unfortunately 2 things happened that I need to fix. Namely the computer doesn't want to read my HP CD-RW 9500i series NOR does it want to read my Pioneer DVD 16x 106s drive. I've tried updating the drivers with what I could find on both those companies sites but nothing is working. Very VERY rarely the computer will boot up and say that its found new hardware and I'll be able to use both devices just fine but once I shutdown I'm screwed again as it will start up and I can't do anything. Both devices worked alright in ME but I really do not want to go back to that crap of an OS. Note that when I startup now I get an alert that CD Recording Software is being disabled because it may disrupt system functioning or some such similar thing. I've tried to locate exactly what is causing the trouble and I'm not seeing ANY devices in device manager that are conflicting or have any issues, there are no programs listed in the add/remove programs list that seem to qualify as CD Recording Software and I've updated to the newest versions of Windows Media Player and Real Player, two programs that the "alert" tells me could be causing problems. Any help? I can provide any other information if needed...just ask. I'd greatly appreciate help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Go into device manager and remove both CD devices and reboot. XP should detect them both when you reboot. XP also has it's own burning software in MediaPlayer (hate it). If you are trying to use another program like CD Creator or Nero, they will not be able to be used with XP until you patch them.

3. NilAdmirari

NilAdmirari Thread Starter

I should have mentioned that neither device shows itself in Device Manager.

On a side note does anyone know precisely what files Roxio might leave when I uninstalled Easy Cd Creator 4? I just want to remove all remnants of the program. I used the uninstall awhile back but it seems it may have left something behind.

4. Lnapol

Lnapol

I'm having the same problem only with a compaq. My CD-RW works ok, but the CD-ROM doesn't. I assume that you know about the ez cd ver 4 driver problem, and I have not been able to find an XP driver that works. My real reason for writing is to warn you not to experiment with the XP list of drivers that you can pick from, I did and the system crashed and I got the blue screen blues and not able to reboot even with the recovery disk, I finally disconnected the CD-ROm and was able to reboot. I'll keep looking for compatible XP drivers and let you know when I find them. One solution you might try is to download ez cd ver 5, that installed XP compatable drivers, but only worked for the CD-RW, Good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice