Upgrade it? Junk it? Fix it? Win10 HP PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cuttlefish

Ian
Hi folks,

My venerable old PC has apparently reached the stage where I have to consider replacing it but I'm not totally convinced there isn't "something wrong with it" before I consign it to the scrap heap!

Some months back - with the help of guys in this Forum - I reformatted the whole HDD and it all worked like a charm, not a glitch all the way through using Windows Media as the tool! The reason for doing this was an ongoing boot up time and drastic slowing down of the PC, particularly during start up!

After the reformat I was kind of shocked to find the problem still remained! No difference!

I run BitDefender Total Security that seems to use a heap of CPU/Disc time and space to boot up, particularly the Virus Shield component and Glary's Utilities to clean up "stuff". Normal boot up time is around 10+ minutes and during that time absolutely nothing will start up i.e. Task Manager, File Explorer etc.

I've disabled most everything in the Start Up list, run defrag/optimize/disc cleanup, triple checked for virus's and their like.....all AOK!

I ditched all the "faster, better, hotter" third party apps that promised wonderful results but achieved nothing and any benchmark diagnostics I've recently done a;ll; seem to indicate that the hardware is more than adequate for the job!

Once the old girl eventually gets up and running, everything works fine so the problem does appear to be in the get-going area?

Any advice appreciated!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200612131023.000000+600
Processor: AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8570D, 768 MB
Hard Drives: C: 1842 GB (1701 GB Free); D: 18 GB (1 GB Free); E: 31 GB (5 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF8, ver 1.02, s/n 123307000001762
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 3CR32601VD
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Based on the serial number, it's a HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f206a All-in-One Desktop PC

Specs here

First suspect would be the HD.

Is the HD a Seagate? Use Seatools for Windows to run diagnostics on it. If not, can use CrystalDiskInfo to get SMART readings, and CrystalDiskMark to benchmark the HD. Post screenshots, if you need help deciphering the results.

The HP diagnostics here may also be of some use (Do the 'Computer is slow' and 'Computer Locks Up or Freezes' ones at least)

Upgrading the HD to an SSD would increase startup time and overall performance dramatically.

cuttlefish

Ian
Based on the serial number, it's a HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f206a All-in-One Desktop PC

Specs here

First suspect would be the HD.

Is the HD a Seagate? Use Seatools for Windows to run diagnostics on it. If not, can use CrystalDiskInfo to get SMART readings, and CrystalDiskMark to benchmark the HD. Post screenshots, if you need help deciphering the results.

The HP diagnostics here may also be of some use (Do the 'Computer is slow' and 'Computer Locks Up or Freezes' ones at least)

Upgrading the HD to an SSD would increase startup time and overall performance dramatically.

Thanks for the reply and all that info!

So, I ran them all and nothing adverse popped up, they all seem to agree that the hardware etc. is fine and everything is running normally!

I'm very suspicious of Bitdefender Anti Virus Shield as it appears to be a real hog for memory and Disk Usage. Whenever I open Device Manager, this App seems to use a very high % of these resources.

When I finally get to the stage during bootup where I can get into Device Manager, Bit Defender shows as the number one offender using the most resources and this goes on for well over 5-6 minutes!

I have set the display-off time for 30 minutes but when I wake the PC, Bit Defender yet again jams up everything in Device Manager even though I would have thought most background processes would have been well and truly stabilized by then?

When I run Process Explorer, Bit Defender and MS Edge are constantly way up there as the biggest resource users…………. also found a cute little file called "DSOne.exe" as the third highest user and that comes from the wretched nagging company "DRIVERSUPPORT" apparently ...........................….deleted it!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I would dump/remove Bit Defender and just you Windows 10 built in AV.

Next thing I would do is turn off all background apps that you don't need or use. This is done in Windows settings under privacy. The only 2 background apps I have running is; Settings and Securtiy apps.

cuttlefish

Ian
I would dump/remove Bit Defender and just you Windows 10 built in AV.

Next thing I would do is turn off all background apps that you don't need or use. This is done in Windows settings under privacy. The only 2 background apps I have running is; Settings and Securtiy apps.
Thinking of doing that.... I might just try and disable that virus shield if I can and take it our of StartUp and see if that fixes it! I've never been 110$% confident that WD is all that great, seems lots of varied opinions on whether it measurers up to the third party ones!

Think it has ransomware protection via OneDrive doesn't it?

I've never been 110$% confident that WD is all that great, seems lots of varied opinions on whether it measurers up to the third party ones!
That used to be true....but now MS has everything so embedded and intertwined that 3rd party AV's tend to cause issues. Depending on the 33rd party AV....some are more system hungry than others.....with MS AV it's super light.

Think it has ransomware protection via OneDrive doesn't it?
Ransomeware built in, I'm pretty sure. As to via OneDrive.....I don't think so as that is just storage.

texasbullet

Ramon
If your comuter is too old maybe the HDD is already giving up by now. The lifespan of an HDD is approx 4-6 yrs depending on the use. If you add an additional 8 GB of RAM it may help you out a little bit more.

I have a 10 year old laptop with very similar issues as you've described in your posting here. Boot-up time was frustratingly long and so since I had other computers I seldom used this old laptop anymore. Since I am retired and with this pandemic I have had lot's of time on my hands, so I decided to to something to speed up the boot time on the old laptop.
I decided to purchase an SSD and clone the old mechanical hard drive onto the new SSD. I bought a 240 gig SSD for $50.00. The cloning process was shockingly simple and the removal of the old hard drive and installation of the new SSD was super simple as well. Happy to report that boot-up time has improved significantly. Next, I purchased an optical drive caddy and installed the old hard drive (500 gig) in the CD/DVD drive bay as I never used the DVD anymore anyway (however, you can buy an external DVD drive for $25.00 or less if you find yourself in need one). I then reformatted the old hard drive and copied all my files and applications from the SSD over to the old hard drive. By doing this I keep the SSD freed-up for just the operating system. This process was inexpensive and very simple as well. Now depending upon how great a need you have for storage space you could also just consider a good sized USB thumb-drive as they are fairly cheap now as well and just plug it in and your ready to go.
So, I'm back to using the old laptop once again - Just thought I'd offer some things you may want to consider.

Last edited:
Got to agree with much of the advice in here.

1. Harddrive may well be flaky at this point so switching to a small SSD would be a cheap upgrade. You can always reuse the SSD in future PC's if you decide to upgrade

2. Install the software you need. Avoid any kind of boost products and try just using Defender as a sole security product. Truth is no AntiVirus can protect you against yourself and third party AntiVirus product's can have odd issues and offer more services than needed which make performance worse. Used defender for about 5 years on my laptop without issue

cuttlefish

Ian
Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions folks, much appreciated!

The one weird thing is that this problem only occurs during the bootup process or after coming out of sleep mode!

Once the startup eventually stabilizes, the old PC is pretty good at most things I need it for, predominately Office 365 Word and editing/messing about with photos, no gaming at all!

So, I've ditched BitDefender, prowled through the Registry to delete the incredible 57 BitDefender entries left after the uninstall and there is a marked improvement in the bootup sequence.

I've also checked the Defender settings and everything seems pretty well covered plus OneDrive also has Ransonware covered.

Still not the fastest machine around but does the job at day's end!

If I might ask a question re the external SSD? Would I have to install Win10 Home on it directly and format the internal HDD after backing up everything first of course, plus would I also use the SSD for my main software being MS 365 and a handful of other Apps? SSD capacity? Like 1 or 2 tb or less?

Thanks again to everybody for help and advices!

cuttlefish

Ian
Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions folks, much appreciated!

The one weird thing is that this problem only occurs during the bootup process or after coming out of sleep mode!

Once the startup eventually stabilizes, the old PC is pretty good at most things I need it for, predominately Office 365 Word and editing/messing about with photos, no gaming at all!

So, I've ditched BitDefender, prowled through the Registry to delete the incredible 57 BitDefender entries left after the uninstall and there is a marked improvement in the bootup sequence.

I've also checked the Defender settings and everything seems pretty well covered plus OneDrive also has Ransonware covered.

Still not the fastest machine around but does the job at day's end!

If I might ask a question re the external SSD? Would I have to install Win10 Home on it directly and format the internal HDD after backing up everything first of course, plus would I also use the SSD for my main software being MS 365 and a handful of other Apps? SSD capacity? Like 1 or 2 tb or less?

Thanks again to everybody for help and advices!

DakBai

Dak
Have you ran 'sfc /scannow' and 'chkdsk C: /f' and 'bootrec /fixMBR', 'bootrec /FixBoot', 'bootrec /ScanOs', 'bootrec /RebuildBcd' cmds in the command prompt?

Also if replaced, what would you possibly replace it with?

cuttlefish

Ian
Have you ran 'sfc /scannow' and 'chkdsk C: /f' and 'bootrec /fixMBR', 'bootrec /FixBoot', 'bootrec /ScanOs', 'bootrec /RebuildBcd' cmds in the command prompt?

Also if replaced, what would you possibly replace it with?
Eeeeek! Never knew they existed although I've done the chkdsk one ………….I'll have a looksee at the others, thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online