Upgrade laptop CPU (yikes)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eStudent

Doing some minor research has left me kinda frustrated, basically I just would like to upgrade my cpu in my laptop so I can play Star Trek Online (yes I'm a Trekkie). Below is the SysInfo, any help would be appreciated, and if you could take a second to explain the why's I'd be most grateful! I'm passively learning about computers. Thanks in advance!

As a sidenote, I do have an antivirus but SysInfo didn't pick it up. Problem? Software is working correctly.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20, AMD64 Family 15 Model 124 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 3838 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1200 Series, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 225053 MB, Free - 117790 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB;
Motherboard: eMachines, HM50-YK
Antivirus: None

DoubleHelix

Banned
I doubt the processor is the sole bottleneck with that graphics chip.

There's no way an eMachines laptop is going to take a processor upgrade well if at all.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The CPU is only part of the problem, your graphics card is also below par for the game, you can see the requirements here: http://www.startrekonline.com/faq#19

You cannot upgrade the graphics in this laptop, as is the case for most laptops. And upgrading the CPU is probably an exercise in futility.

This simply isn't the laptop that's suited for that game, its a basement bargain laptop with very poor specs.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Yep, the only upgrade option you have is a new computer. Laptop upgrades are generally limited to RAM increases. Even Big Name Desktops aren't much better off. There are all sorts of reasons why cheap systems are cheap, and a lot of them are a result of the hardware. See also; you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online