Upgrade MacBook (black, late 2007)

Freesia

I have a black MacBook (2007) that I would like to upgrade to be able to use Internet and Email. I know it is super old but I only used the laptop lightly for a few years then started using my work laptop for most things. I think it is in good shape (aside from being out of date) and I don’t like to toss things that might still serve a purpose. I asked a computer repair place and the guy told me (without looking at the laptop) that it wouldn’t be worth his fee to have him do any work on it. So I am going to try to do it myself. I have searched this site and only found one thread (now closed) re MacBook 2007 but not relevant to my situation, which is why I am starting a new thread. (If I missed something here, please let me know, I am happy to look further.) I have been scouting around online to find out how much of an upgrade is possible. Unfortunately, I have found conflicting opinions about that. Could someone on this site check and clarify the info I have collected so far?

My MacBook’s Info:
MacBook 3,1 OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

My info about this topic:

Step 1: Replace the RAMs. I have already purchased 2x 2GB RAMs because most of the comments I have read say that the laptop can use max 3 GB but that the two RAMs should be identical size in each slot.

Step 2: Upgrade OSX. Some say these machines can only go up to Lion and will access the internet wonderfully. Others say with Lion it won’t be able to access the internet smoothly and would have constant issues. Some say they used a workaround to get it to run a later version of OS. Last comments I saw were referring to Mavericks/Yosemite, I don’t know if later is also possible.

Step 3: I saw one comment about upgrading EFI Firmware but then another saying that is not needed.

Step 4: Done

I know I probably sound like I have no clue about systems and hardware - because that is exactly the case. I am just piecing together information and trying to figure this out. Thank you in advance for any help. I really appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure that Apple products are not hardware up gradable. It was Steve Jobs belief that the PC be self contained with the best hardware (at the time) to be used. Which is why part of the cost is so high. However, since his passing and it's in a new direction to keep up with the times.....you maybe able to upgrade it. You would have to take to a Apple service center.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online