1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade memory capacity?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sevilla315, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevilla315

sevilla315 Thread Starter

I have an old Del 4550 which funnily only has a 1G maximum memory, however many applications such as Photoshop use all of this and it starts to swap.
    Is there any way I can upgrade this cheaply?
    If not, can I use all my cards on a newer Vista box? (Firewire, Gigabit etc)

Thanks,

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

What is the Service tag number on your PC?

or you could go to www.crucial.com and let it scan your PC. It should then tell you (1) what you currently have, (2) what your upgrade options are.

Moving the add-on cards from your current PC to a new PC should be fairly easy as long as you keep in mind:
    1. what types of slots the cards need
    2. if the new PC has enough of these types of slots
    3. if you have the drivers for all those cards saved on CD or can get them online from their manufacturers BEFORE you move them to the new PC.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Seems there are 2 4550 models and one takes 1 gb and the other says 2gb.
    Seems to depend on FSB being 400 takes the higher amount of ram from 533 and that seems so odd but your service tag number will tell all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!