Upgrade Memory/CD-ROM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ribblehead

Approx 8 year old PC, 64MB Memory, Mitsumi CD-ROM FX240S!B, CD-ROM is having a lot of problems identifing and reading dics so I would imagine it will pack up completely soon and I would also like to add a bit more memory, could anyone advise me what I need to look for when buying replacement. CD-ROM just a basic one would be fine and I thought 128MB memory (would that mean add another 64 or replace with a new 128) ?

If you have 2 memory slots, leave the 64meg stick where it is & add the 128 meg stick.
Try cleaning your cd rom with a cleaning disk, it may still work ok.
If you do change the drive, buy a cd rewriter, the price is now about the same as a cd drive and the same to install

well any cd/dvd drive should be ok to put in.
memory is a different thing but you need to get the right sort for your computer.
the best way to find out id download EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 here
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
install it and click computer/ summary under System Memory right click copy and paste into your next post.
so we can tell you what sort of memory you are using
also click motherboard/SPD right click again and copy all this time and paste back in your post.
double check
also post whats under motherboard/motherboard/Motherboard Physical Info /ram slots

so we know if there are more slotd for the ram to go

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't spend a lot on an 8 year old machine, since as soon as you replace one thing, another is likely to fail. :) It may be time to put that old workhorse out to pasture. :D

Ribblehead

Memory:-
Field Value
System Memory 64 MB (SDRAM)
Motherboard/SPD does not show anything, and cannot see motherboard physical info

most old computers might have 2 slots,so you will see great improvement if you were to put in another 128 or 256 mb of memory.
it might be best to take your computer to the shop when you go and buy it,as it only takes 5 min to put in and that way you will get the right stuff and it will work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online