1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade mother board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdbic, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

I have a asus a7v333 mother board. I have a windows 7 disk .It needs 64 bit cpu. Is there a mother board that will support a 64 bit cpu that will take the memory and other parts from the a7v333?

2. Sponsor

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Account Closed

What CPU do you have?

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Account Closed

Seeing how outdated this mobo is....it would be better if you opted for a more modern mobo/cpu/ram combo.

5. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

The cpu is amd xp something. I have to go look in the machine. But it is only 32 bit. That is why I have been looking for a mother board that will be 64 bit and take the things that are in the a7v333. Trying not to spend too much $.But if I have to I guess I will.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want 64bit, you need a 64bit processor. The AMD xp dates from 2001 or so and as such it is beyond obsolete ie you are never going to find a new board. All xp processors are 32bit.

7. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

Ok, I understand . What I want to do is find a mother board and cpu that are 64 bit, and hopefully accept the memory and cards etc from the a7v333. If not, then hopefully I can still use the case and start from the beginning.

8. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

That ASUS motherboard uses very outdated DDR333 memory modules that cannot and shouldn't be used in a modern motherboard that supports a 64-bit processor and 64-bit operating system.

If you have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 64-bit that you want to make use of, you can buy a much more modern and much faster refurbished desktop without an operating system in it.

There are plenty of them at http://www.valuenetpc.com/ in the $200 - $300 range.

This is the one ($181.99) that I would buy.
    I personally have 3 of them which are running Windows 7 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  9. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I gave it a shot . I'll look into flavallee's links.

10. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The Dell OptiPlex 780 with the Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM works fine for me because I'm not a gamer and don't require one that has more "horsepower".
    If you do require one that has more "horsepower", then look at the ones that have an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor.
    Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167413