Solved Upgrade my graphic card

Newbie52

I am thinking to upgrade my graphic card (MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti) to MSI GeForce GTX 1050ti (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-oc.html)

but I am not sure if my system could handle the requirement. I will post my computer specs in the following:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20201114161024.000000+000
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (58 GB Free); D: 223 GB (62 GB Free); E: 15 GB (13 GB Free); G: 931 GB (136 GB Free);
Motherboard: Intel Corporation DQ57TM, ver AAE70931-402, s/n BTTM025006JG
System: Intel Corp., ver Viglen - 1072009, s/n 2105441
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
PSU: Seasonic 350W PC Power Supply, 220V ac Input, 3.3 V dc, 5 V dc, ±12 V dc Output

Thanks

crjdriver

A very quick question; does your motherboard have a uefi bios or a legacy bios?
Nvidia cards from the 1xxx series on need a uefi bios to function. Some card mfg have a dual bios and or legacy switch to enable working on old hardware. It is really hit and miss as to whether or not the card in question has this option.

Newbie52

A very quick question; does your motherboard have a uefi bios or a legacy bios?
Nvidia cards from the 1xxx series on need a uefi bios to function. Some card mfg have a dual bios and or legacy switch to enable working on old hardware. It is really hit and miss as to whether or not the card in question has this option.
Legacy
1634649961665.png

and if it can't support the OC version then can it support this one? :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA...words=geforce+1050+4gb&qid=1634591789&sr=8-34

crjdriver

You are not understanding; the 10xx series cards and newer need a uefi bios. I see nothing in that ad that reflects support for legacy hardware.

crjdriver

It is up to you. Sometimes a motherboard mfg releases a bios update that will allow a newer card to function. In your case [with an intel motherboard] I highly doubt it. Intel stopped ALL support for their boards.

Newbie52

can you tell me on which motherboard (budget wise) I need to get for it to run?

Thanks

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Intel processor in your computer is old and weak.
The current NVIDIA graphics card in it is already being handicapped because of the weakness of the processor.
An even more powerful NVIDIA graphics card is going to be handicapped even more.
What you really need is a computer which has newer and faster hardware (motherboard, processor, RAM, etc.).

cpu.JPG

gpu1.JPG

gpu2.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

crjdriver

It is not just the motherboard. You have an 1156 socket processor and I doubt you are going to find a board that supports that socket AND has uefi.
As I said, I doubt you are going to find a board with uefi that supports your processor. If you really, really want to try, an asus 1156 socket board would probably be your best bet however NO guarantee that it will work AND you are going to have to go used since you are not going to find that old of parts new.

Last edited:

Newbie52

The Intel processor in your computer is old and weak.
The current NVIDIA graphics card in it is already being handicapped because of the weakness of the processor.
An even more powerful NVIDIA graphics card is going to be handicapped even more.
What you really need is a computer which has newer and faster hardware (motherboard, processor, RAM, etc.).

View attachment 291544

View attachment 291545

View attachment 291546

-----------------------------------------------------
Could you give me a example (like a prebuild one on eBay for reference so I know my budget?

crjdriver

I am assuming you want to install a 1050ti so you can game with the system. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than simply installing a video card. A well thought out/designed gaming system starts with a quality pw supply from corsair, seasonic or other high end unit, a performance motherboard with heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, steel video card slot, next would be a quality case to facilitate good airflow, AND high performance ram.
Parts of this quality are not cheap and building a gaming system on a tight budget always leads to compromises and or disappointment with how it preforms.
As much as I dislike prebuilt gaming systems, right now with the cost of video cards a prebuilt system may be your best option. Stay away from the low end ones ie cyberpower, ibuypower, etc. If you have to get a prebuilt system, skytech is a decent builder/mfg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online