1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade My Graphics Card!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wishing Bubble, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wishing Bubble

Wishing Bubble Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I hope you can help me with this one.

I want to upgrade my graphics card to be able to play some 3D games. I can't play any 3D games at all, if I try after installation, it hangs itself, or freezes, or I get a black screen. I've been given a couple of games but with out a 3D graphics card...2D just ain't enough!!! lol

Here are my PC Specifications:

Ali Aladdin V AFPset - GA-5AA Motherboard
    320Mb Ram
    15gig HD
    AMD K6-2 450 Mhz CPU
    Creative Audigy Player Soundcard
    Matrox Millenium PCI Graphics card
    O/system - WindowsXP Pro

My PC works well but the graphics card is old (it was orginally out of my really old pc - AST Advantage, purchased in 1994).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have checked out other threads and they've been helpful, but I need to know what would be compatible with the system I've got. Also cost will be playing a big part in what ever card I buy.
    Ta In Advance :)

Wishing Bubble wishes you all a Stress Free Day!!!!!

2. carltasha

carltasha

do you have an AGP slot ?

3. Wishing Bubble

well, there you have me...according to the the manual for the motherboard, the diagram say's yes. But as to whether I have anything installed in it is another question. My motherboard has 2 x ISA slots, 3 x PCI slots and 1 x AGP slot.

Where can I find out if I've got anything install in the AGP slot using the pc rather than taking the thing to bits?

Please advise.

Wishing Bubble wishes you all a Stress Free Day! :eek:)

4. rugrat

rugrat

Wishing Bubble

Your specs do show an AGP slot. As far as having anything already in it, I doubt it. Your current graphics circa 1994 was built before AGP was implemented. AGP is Advanced Graphics Port and is only used for video cards. I would suggest you look for a middle of the road card such as a gforce mx400 or similar with 64meg of memory. You will find a huge performance boost and save some cash!

Good Luck

5. Wishing Bubble

Thanks for the advice Rugrat...I'll check out the prices and go for gforce mx400. Then the skies the limit...gamewise that is! lol

Thanks again.

Wishing Bubble wishes you a stress free day! :eek:)

6. Wishing Bubble

Just a quickie....Rugrat you mentioned Gforce mx400...well after checking out ebay and dealtime...there are lots of Gforce's
    namely: Gforce2, Gforce3 and Gforce4 mx400's
    So what's the one I should consider? Sorry I'm a bit green when it comes to pc componants! :eek:)

Each Gforce comes with 64mb but which to choose?
    Ta in advance

Wishing Bubble wishes everyone a Stress Free Day! :eek:)

7. carltasha

carltasha

you need to make shure you have the slot for the card you get , it might be that you need a pci card . as foe g2 , g3 and g4 , get the highest number you can afford .

8. Wishing Bubble

Hi and thx,
    So it seems that I've got to get inside my pc and have a look at what slots are empty.
    Well I do know that I don't have any PCI slots free, because I purchased PCI modem to replace my old ISA one and the 3 PCI slots that I've got are already full. So I only have 1 ISA slot empty and 1 AGP slot empty.

Any further advice regarding AGP graphic cards would be helpful
    Ta in advance!

Wishing Bubble wishes you all a stress free day! :)

9. rugrat

rugrat

Wishing Bubble

I would go with carltasha's advice and get the one that fits your budget, g2, 3 or 4 would be fine. I would not suggest a state of the art card as you probably do not have a large enough power supply to support the extra current. That is just based on the age of your machine, you probably only have a 200 or 250watt power supply. Since you do have the AGP slot, when you buy the new card, you will then have a free slot for the modem. Just curious, what 3 cards do you have in your PCI slots? You said your current modem is ISA. Current video is PCI and curent sound card is PCI? What is the 3rd?

SeeYa

10. Wishing Bubble

that's a good point Rugrat...I don't know what's in the 3rd PCI slot. Where would I find out, other than looking inside the pc...if that would tell me? Is there somewhere within windows that lists what is in what slot? Could device manager help, perhaps cut and paste any particular listing?
    Please advise.

Wishing bubble wishes you all a stress free day? :)

11. rugrat

rugrat

12. Wishing Bubble

Hi rugrat...great program balarc, didn't know there was so much on my PC.

Regarding the PCI slots, what am I looking on for on the Belarc listings, to show whats in the PCI slots? Please advise.

And as Regards the Gforce mx400 graphics card you advised, well I checked out the Nvidia website. Very helpful, it did a system analysis of my PC and it came up with the graphics card you said was a good one. Way to Go Rugrat.

Thanks and any further nuggets of info would be most welcome.

Wishing Bubble wishes you all a stress free day! :eek:)

13. rugrat

rugrat

Wishing Bubble

Whatever is in that slot is probably listed under Communications, Multimedia or Other Devices. Your video card should be listed under Display. I am guessing it is probably a network card. Does it have a connector on the back that loooks kind of like a phone jack? It also may be a USB card with a couple of rectangular ports on the back.

SeeYa

14. Wishing Bubble

Hi Rugrat, thanks for the quick reply.

Here’s the listings from Belarc Advisor for my PC….

Controllers:
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Ali M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Bus Adapters:
    None detected

Communications:
    Standard 33600 bps Modem
    Network IP Address: ?????????????

Display:
    Matrox Graphics Mellennium PCI [Display adapter]

Multimedia:
    Creative Game Port
    Creative SB Audigy

Other Devices:
    OHCI Complient IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-key)
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
    Ali PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    OPTi 82C861 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

Can you see anything that could relate to what you mentioned in your last post? As regards the USB thing, I do remember having to install a pair of USB ports in a PCI slot because my Husbands Digital Camera could only connect to the PC via a USB cable. So we installed one.

Have checked out EBay and have seen a GeForce2 Mx400 going for just over £20....a definite bargain, don't you think?

If you have any further info, it would be greatly appreciated, anyone who knows more than me about PC's is worth their weight in gold!! ;)

Ta in advance

Wishing Bubble wishes everyone a Stress Free Day! :)

15. rugrat

rugrat

Wishing Bubble

Its the USB card. As far as the GeForce2 Mx400, it's a good card. I have an Asus version in one of my machines. I have never ordered anything over Ebay but, you just need to make sure who you are dealing with.
    Good luck when you do get a card! Let us know if you need help with the install. There are always alot of good people here ready to help.

SeeYa

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/102627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice