1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kohlirowe, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kohlirowe

kohlirowe Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion g3100 Desktop which I've already upgraded as far as i can, so now I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard & processor for it. I use my computer for music (FLStudio) and its really struggling to process all those wav files etc. Can anyone recommend a decent motherboard and processor which is a good balance of speed and price.

Thanks all

Adrian

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I am not sure that the case Will take a standard motherboard form factor. I am going to keep searching and see what I find. It might be best to buy a new cheap case and fit the power supply, hard drive, Disk drive etc into a new case along with a new motherboard and CPU. You may also need a new PSU and RAM if HP have used their own version.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    HP case are propriatary so going with a new motherboard would be a problem, HP also uses standard ATX power supplies for the most part, but they do not use high quality power supplies and they are rated with just enough power to run what came in the computer when it was new. So I would seriously consider a new Case and a New Power Supply from a quality manufacturer that would have enough power to run your new Motherboard and related parts. Thing with replacing the motherboard with anything other than the identical HP Motherboard or its Designated prelacement from HP, Unless you have a retail OS (ie you are using the preinstalled os) you will not be able to use the preinstalled os or HP Preinstalled Programs on the new system. So you would have to do a complete reinstall of everything though you can back up and save all of your Data files such as documents pictures and Music. Basically you are looking at building a new computer here.

4. kohlirowe

kohlirowe Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to mention I have already changed the case to a super duper batman full size one with glowing eyes....Prefer ATX if poss but it will take full size

5. kohlirowe

kohlirowe Thread Starter

I've just bought windows 7 upgrade which i can use with my old xp software if nessarsary.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't use your current Windows XP disk or license on a system with a new motherboard and processor which means you can't use it as a qualifying upgrade to Windows 7 on a new system either. If you wanted to build a new computer, you should have purchased a full Windows 7 license. If you haven't opened the upgrade yet, I suggest you return it and get what you'll need for the new system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice