1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade my processor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by number, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number

number Thread Starter

Hi,

I want to upgrade the processor of my PC.
    My current processor is an AMD Athlon XP, 1466 MHz (11 x 133) 1700+ motherboard: Asus A7V8X

I know that my motherboard will support any and all AMD XP processors so I wanted to go for the AMD XP3200+ , what do you guys think?

The XP3200+ that runs on the 400Mhz FSB and has 512KB of L2 Cache should give me a very significant upgrade in speed.
    Would I need PC3200 RAM (400Mhz) to go with that CPU?
    How can I know if my actual ram slot are 400Mhz or less?

How much and in what way I would see the increase of performances of my PC?
    thank you

2. lemondrop

lemondrop

Everything that I am reading says this mobo does not have a 400MHz FSB. It maxes out at 333. Fastest CPU you can get in this would be the XP 3000+. That is of course if I am reading correctly....

BTW: This thread really belongs in hardware.

3. number

number Thread Starter

thank you, so how can I make sure about it?

4. lemondrop

lemondrop

According to Asus technical specs the board doesn't list 333 FSB being supported. However, a ton of sites say otherwise. Might be a good idea to get a hold of Asus to be 100% sure.

5. number

number Thread Starter

well, regarding my ASUS A7V8X motherboard in www.kingston.com I found the following:

This system only supports two ranks of DDR400 memory, and four ranks of DDR333 memory. When ranks are filled to capacity, the 3rd socket is disabled.

Maximum Memory: 1GB using DDR400
    2GB using DDR333
    3GB using DDR266

Expansion: 3 Sockets
    CPU & ChipSet: AMD Athlon XP VIA Apollo KT400 (VT8377)
    AMD Duron VIA Apollo KT400 (VT8377)
    Bus Architecture: PCI

So, it actually says that 333 are supported. My point is: how can I be 100% sure that it would support a XP 3000+ procesor?
    Is there a sort of on line helper for the right processor?

I was browsing some online shops and I found the following:

-Amd - Athlon 64 3000+fsb 800mhz socket 754/box € 190,80
    -Amd - Athlon xp 3000+ - 2.1 ghz, cache l2 512 kb socket a € 134,00
    -AMD ATHLON-64-3000+ € 205,00

I know I have a socket A. So, if I want the AMD ATHLON xp 3000+ I have to take the one with socket A, right? is there a difference between the second and the third processor I am quoting?
    Shall I get the one of the picture I'm attaching?
    thanks

Attached Files:

6. lemondrop

lemondrop

I would get a hold of Asus. They usually have a list of supported processors (tested), but lo' and behold that page is unavailable.

Yes, you want socket A. Out of the three CPU's you have listed only the second one will work. Your board definitely will not support the 64 bit CPU. This one should be okay. But again, just to be 100% sure, contact Asus.

Nope, that's a 64 bit CPU.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/391706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice