1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade old mac to burn?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Cicely, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cicely

Cicely Thread Starter

I have data imprisoned in my G4/400 which has no built in CD burner. I've read that Firewire can be installed with use of an XTRNL burner. Will this work? I have never opened this machine, much less installed anything. Is it easy as abc or xyz? If I order Firewire, will it have a schematic for neophytes?

2. drummerbull

drummerbull

Your G4 should already have a firewire port on it. I know mine does. If you have another mac, you can simply connect the two together using a firewire cable and transfer files.

3. Cicely

Cicely Thread Starter

hmmm You're right! The G4 does have Firewire installed. Thank you for your time, and for saving me from ordering something I guess I don't need, after all.

The cable sounds workable for that type of transfer- But, as I don't have a 2nd Mac, would a Firewire cable transfer data from a Mac to a PC?

Or, what combination of software & external burner DOES one need to upgrade an old G4/400 to burn CD'S? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!