1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade old PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toonbear, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toonbear

toonbear Thread Starter

My old faithful PC is long in the tooth, I was thinking of trying a larger cpu and more memory.The system is
    Mobo PC chips M810LR /Chipset SIS 730/AMD Athlon XP 1800 skt A/XP pro with sp2/1054 mb RAM .

Anyone have any suggestions on what improvements can be made?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well I wouldn't put any money into it. The mobo has a maximum memory limit of 1GB if the specs I found are right and you can get a really decent machine right now for low $$'s. Two of the specs pages I found have no USB ports listed so if these are accurate to your machine then you're do for a real upgrade.

3. toonbear

toonbear Thread Starter

griffinspc Thank you for your input .I use my old pc a lot , it is like an old cardigan. The other newer pc , an Acer, does not have the same "feel".I will be giving them names next.:):)

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

What do you mean, give them names? You mean they havent got them already???

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Sometimes it's better to just let them slip away and dig a hole in the back yard. :(

6. toonbear

toonbear Thread Starter

griffinspc I would have to strip out my 2 large capacity hard drives and cd recorder/player. I was thinking of just changing out the mobo and going for a double core cpu, but that then throws the ram etc out of sync.
    Looks like the scrapyard for Bessy

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

yeah there is too much to replace and even the drives would create an issue because newer boards only have one ide controller anymore. better off moving on and thanking "Bessie" for past performance.

8. toonbear

toonbear Thread Starter

Rich-M do you think I can get my 2 PCs to mate and produce an offspring, one of those small cubic PCs???

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would doubt it....

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

You know there is one other thought, turn it into a Linux box with something like Ubuntu, the latest being Gutsy Gibbon. Very similar to Windows and you can use it just for fun and a learning experience. It needs almost no RAM to run and is not processor dependent as much as Windows. That way Bessy will always be a part of the family.

I have an old machine with an Athlon 2200+ with 1GB RAM and a Nvidia 5500 graphics card. Works great as Linux box.that has exactly that OS on it.

11. toonbear

toonbear Thread Starter

griffinspc My elder son is a computer programmer(smarty pants) and he has spoken very poorly of Linux. There again what does he know.He rates my system with its current layout is adequate for my needs. Never been one for real techy ideas, looks like I will just get anothe more powerful PC for my video authoring and pictures.Again, thank you for all of your input.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

What may have been true a few years ago with Linux, is really not now. And griffinspc is so right about Linux performing so much better on an old pc. Just to give you an example on a 3.0 dsl connection I can run 4.4 with Firefox as my browser on Windows and 5.4 on about 5 different versions of Linux. If you want to surf the net, do email and write a letter now and then Linux is perfect for a lot of users who don't have heavy program needs.

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

Yup just as Rich said and with that Linux OS you get OpenOffice, Evolution E-Mail, FireFox and lots of other software completely free and by the way Evolution is a clean and really nice email application. All this software is installed with the OS install and believe me, you can do it. It installs easier than Windows XP for sure. I'm still a Windows user and probably always will be but that doesn't mean you can't have a little fun with Linux.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice