Upgrade or buy new? AMD Atholon or Intel Celeron

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pearlaking

I have a Dell 4100 3-4 yrs old about. I have a 1000 mhz Intel Pentium 111. I am using Win98 and am ready to go to Windows XP I think. Many have told me I should. So, I need to decide whether what I have is good enough and buy the XP software, or if I need a new PC. I started looking and am confused by the difference in processors. I don't know if Intel Celeron or Intel Pentium or AMD Atholon is best. I don't know if an Atholon 3500 is less or better than an Intel Celeron 352 or how either compares to Pentium 111 or 1111. They make this difficult on purpose don't they? Anyway, does anyone have any advice. I don't want to spend over $500, but don't want to spend $200 on XP software and put it on a computer that isn't what I should have. I mostly do family photo saving and sharing, Internet and email. What opinions do any of you have?
Thanks for your input.

Intel P-4 or Athlon is what I would prefer, without doubt.
Without knowing exactly what you expect in a system --use, or ability--I will post this.
If you have a monitor and speakers , you can buy a pretty good machine for around $500---very little more for a complete system .
Because you have a Dell, I looked at Dell machines and found one as example --for $534 after rebate. Intel p-4 --- 512 ram --80gig HD. Keep in mind you can lower this price --or raise it -- customize it to your needs. A example >>>

Description

Dimension E310 - P4
Date & Time: December 30,2005 5:21 PM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Dimension E310 - P4 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition Unit Price $634.00
Dell Home Customers: Save $100 instantly off the Dell Dimension E310!
Limited Time Offer!
- $100.00

Dimension E310 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Memory FREE UPGRADE! 512MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz -2 DIMMs
Keyboard and Mouse Bundles Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
Monitor No Monitor
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive
Sound Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack -Basic digital Music, Photo, and Casual Gaming

TOTAL:$534.00
+ tax +shipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would consider buying speakers and Monitor less than $100 extra , and using both machines or giving old one to someone.
At any rate shop around, this is only an example. The "average" user is better served buying a new machine than investing in upgrades for one like yours, an older one--in my opinion.
Check out > Dell.com , and CUSTOMIZE one exactly to your needs, and then shop!. Lots of capable machines for around $500.
You will be very happy with XP -- I believe.
Hope this helps you.:) >f

Keep in mind 2 things .
Electronics --all components in your machine have a "life" . Upgrading one does not address all components.
And , stay away from the bottom , or entry level pc. Esp if choose Dell. Celeron machines are cheap---but much better machines cost very liitle more. >f

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online