1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade or buy reconditioned

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jhig712419, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhig712419

jhig712419 Thread Starter

:)

hello there my current pc is packard bell with the following specification

pentium 4
    3.0ghz
    512 mb ram
    windows xp

however i have had it 3 years or so now and following a recent virus is running like a pile of junk,

i have around £200 to spend and am wondering if to upgrade or buy a refurbished pc from pc world that i have seen for £180

the refurbished one is a acer

amd athlon
    2.6ghz
    2 gig memory
    windows vista.

all i use my current pc for is internet, photos and mainly the football manger series of pc games.

what should i do do i get a refurbished one or upgrade mine if i upgrade what do you recommend.

thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why not just reformat the computer and start clean? I would suspect a Packard Bell would have a Recovery option built in or have CD's to recover it back to factory defaults. Just be sure to backup all your data before running it as it will erase it all.

3. arknorth

arknorth

And while you're doing that, possibly boost that RAM, seeing that you're running a 3.0GHz P4. You should be able to get it up to 2GBs at least.

A-N

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I concur with both suggestions from Triple6 and Arknorth. (y)

A 3-year old computer has plenty of life left in it. Getting rid of 3 years worth of accumulated junk and problems and giving that computer a fresh start will do wonders for it. That's what I did with the 6-year old Gateway that I inherited. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice