1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade or new PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by essentialindexic, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. essentialindexic

essentialindexic Thread Starter

Hello all,

I can figure most software-related issues out myself but I'm still quite shaky when it comes to hardware. I want to be able to play games like Starcraft 2 on high settings smoothly, Skyrim, etc. but I don't know whether the base is worth upgrading or if I should go for a new computer altogether to accomplish my desired task.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad QCU Q8300 @ 2.33 GHz

3 GB RAM

Vista 32-bit

****** onboard Intel graphics

Motherboard: Acer, WG43M

I was thinking of doubling my RAM, getting Win 7 64-bit and upgrading my graphics and power supply. Are these specs alright to run most modern games if these things are upgraded, or should I scrap this for a new, more capable PC?

Thanks!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd figure up the cost .. then go to HP shopping and see what a new one costs and has in it.
    You can customize one the way you want it .. and see the cost

I'm thinking that now's not the time to buy a new one ..
    Maybe the newer ones with the newest hardware/processors will be available after Christmas .. Maybe about Feb ??

3. hazybud1

hazybud1

upgrading all that stuff is going to be pricey why dont u just get a new comp?

4. hazybud1

hazybud1

and buying a pre built gaming pc from newegg or tigerdirect will be cheaper than something like HP.. more bang for ur buck

5. IntensiveBytes

IntensiveBytes

You must upgrade. Your RAM, graphics card and processor will not handle the games you mentioned above.
    And the fact that your Operating System is 32-bit, 3GB of RAM is probably the highest you can achieve..
    You should buy a new custom built computer,
    make sure you have a 64-bit operating system so you can get more than 4GB of RAM,
    and make sure your mother board supports PCIe x16 to get all the latest graphics card ;D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice