1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bxmag, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bxmag

bxmag Thread Starter

System specs

Pent4(423) 1.5Ghz
    512mb rdram (rambus)
    GeForce4 4600ti
    Soundblaster 128pci
    60g 5400 WD hard drive
    windows xp

I play Counterstrike and was considering building a new machine but some people tell me that spending the $$$$ to build a new machine will not benefit me. They say that my current machine is more than enough for running the game lag and glitch free.

I noticed that my system only has a 8 kilobyte primary memory cache. I noticed that the AMD that I built has a 128 kilobyte primary memory cache. Is bigger better? Would this effect the game and the way it runs?

Basically Is to me that needs to improve or is it the box that needs to be updated?

2. P3-450

P3-450

in regards to the game IMO then your system is more than adequate.

generally your system looks good, if it was me then i would get a bigger hd or get an extra one.

If your system does what you want to do well,then save you cash.

if, like myself, you looking for an excuse to build another pc then go ahead, its fun:D

Hope this helps

:)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you ever plan to upgrade, be aware that the CPU, Motherboard and RAM won't be reuseable. All three are the older style components for P4's and have since been eclipsed by the 478 CPU's and DDR.

Are you having trouble with any Games or do you just want something faster?

4. bxmag

bxmag Thread Starter

Well this is what I was considering upgrading to

P4 2.8C 800m
    asus p4p800
    1024 pc3200 kingston hyperx
    80g wd 8mb cache
    xp pro

and gonna switch my video card to the new box
    GeForce4 4600ti

I know my cuurent machine is no where as fast as it was when I first unpacked it, but it has been upgraded from Me to XP via compaq's free upgrade that cost 19.99 to ship.

I'm just under the impression that with all the programs and the updates and the upgrade and deleteing gator and gain to the best of my knowledge, I just don't think the machine is running up to par.

The above menetioned system would be blazing fast, right?

5. P3-450

P3-450

Very Very nice:):)

Stop it your making my mouth water:D

GO for it.

6. suesman

suesman

Yep quite fast. You should be most happy with that.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Don't forget the case as well...

Enermax CS-10181-B Chassis - $65 from Newegg (No PSU included, add about $50)

8. bxmag

bxmag Thread Starter

[​IMG]

chenbro pc61166 case with 400 watt power supply
    [​IMG]

1) suesman luv your signature (referencing the way todays youth dress)
    2)Newegg .com is a vendor held in high esteem around here? They were one of the places I was considering buying from it was down to newegg or shentech.

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

newegg is very good... don't quite have enough products, but a lot. Best photo gallery of products.

I see that its $50 without a PSU

Confirm *WHICH* 400watt PSU you're getting.

Here are PSUs to choose from: Fortron, Zalman, Enermax, Thermaltake, Enlight, Vantec and Antec.

read this: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841

PS: go to compUSA and order THEIR brand of lighted 80mm fans, its one of the best in low-noise and GREAT color I've seen. $10. Go with red to kind of match your case color. (or whatever you like, they have green and blue too)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice