1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade. PARITY or NON-PARITY?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Minga, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Minga

Minga Thread Starter

Hi.
    My current RAM is 2x 62Mb PC100 SDRAM, 3.3V, TSOP package and the manual for my laptop says 100MHz+ in either 32, Mb or 128Mb modules to a max of 256Mb.
    I want to upgrade with two 128 modules but I am not sure about the following:
    1. Is there any point me getting PC133, or will it just run at 100MHz still?
    2. I have found some RAM on Dabs.com which sounds fine, but they are all NON-PARITY. I wasn't sure what mine was (it isn't in the manual) so I looked on Download.com's memory feature and they say that when you look at the RAM, if the number of chips is divisible by 3 or 5 then it is NON-PARITY, otherwise PARITY (or ECC, whatever). If by chips they mean the large black rectangular things, then I only have 4. Does this mean I can't use NON-PARITY?

2. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi Minga,

I would go with PC100 as that is all your laptop will support.
    Non-parity is faster than parity.

Spaceman

4. Minga

Minga Thread Starter

Thanks, but TIME Computers are awful when it comes to their web-site. I can't even find an email address. It is all done by phone, and isn't cheap either.
    I checked out Jeerajat's site and had a look in the BIOS to turn off parity checking, but there is no such option? Does this mean I don't have parity RAM? If so, that means Download.com were wrong about identifying RAM. Is that likely, anyone?
    Also, Spaceman - could you give me little more information on the speed side of things. Jeerajat's site looked quite pro and indicated no such differences in speed.

5. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

That, too, is highly technical as neither you nor I would be able to tell the difference.

sm

6. geralds

geralds

7. Minga

Minga Thread Starter

Thanks Geralds for that. Good link. Unfortunately they didn't have my computer (or any near it) but they all seem to be non-parity RAM so I'll chance it, and assume mine is also non-parity. Cheers everyone, I'll let you know how I get on with the new RAM when it arrives.:)

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most laptops are non-parity, this is an attempt to save the 12% extra power that the 9th bit for each byte would consume.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice