1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keith2154, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keith2154

keith2154 Thread Starter

S Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3071 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 176130 MB;
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, MS-7514

Is there any way I could build a new pc that's better than this between $500-750?

2. ajkane

ajkane

Oh yeah! I'll put something together for you! I love this kind of stuff! XD It is WAY more fun the my homework I should be doing right now!

3. ajkane

ajkane

Wait! First things first. AMD or Intel? If you don't know the pros and cons here we go XD

AMD (My favorite)
    -Best Price/Performance
    - <$200 for ANY cpu
    - More Cores (better for multi-threaded stuff like adobe Photoshop or cad stuff, or video encoding if you do that)
    - Good integrated graphics
    - Specs look good, but doesn't preform as well in the real world
    - Doesn't do well with lightly threaded games (crysis 1 and games in that time period)

Intel
    - Great for games!
    - Sucky integrated graphics
    - Cost more >$200 for something nice
    - Does great in the real world, better then you think it's specs could provide
    - Max of 4 cores if you don't want to pay more the $500 for just your cpu

4. ajkane

ajkane

5. keith2154

keith2154 Thread Starter

thanks so much man!

however, the first link doesn't work :( I can build.

6. ajkane

ajkane

Oh, I just can never get newegg wish lists to work. -_-

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352009
    Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157342
    GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    CPU (APU): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233298
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697
    ODD:

Now this build utilizes AMD Dual Graphics so if you do get it make sure to connect your monitor to the mobo not the gpu and change the display mode on the mother board to iGPU or integrated or something along those lines form the default PCI-e and open CCC (once you got drivers) and enable Dual Graphics so you can use the integrated and discrete at the same time.

7. Robsy128

Robsy128

AMD? Nooo...

If you want something decent, go for an i5 processor from intel. They destroy AMDs. It really depends what you're after. Are you going to be using it for gaming or something?

8. Robsy128

Robsy128

I'd also recommend upgrading your graphics card. And your PSU. You need a good PSU to power the graphics card.

Are you in America as well? Or somewhere else? Personally, I'm looking at overclockers.co.uk. They build the motherboard for you and they do some really good bundles. The only downside is that you have to buy the case, PSU and graphics card separately, but it works out much cheaper than buying a pre-built PC.

9. ajkane

ajkane

And here we go! Yay! Classic AMD Intel battle. AMD outperforms Intel in the BUDGET category! I know that Intel has better CPU's but for his budget he is best to go with a dual graphics setup! That is a good 800 steam processors (slightly more actually) with an average clock of around 725mhz! That is pretty good for the price! If he said his budget is like 850 or more I wound of gone intel most likely. But let me tell you, I build my own gaming rig. It has a fx-4170 and it outprefoms the i5-2500k in most highly threaded applications. I know intel takes overall performance, but an fx-4170 will NEVER be a bottle neck for a GPU and my cf-6950's strive! (avg 46 fps on Unigine Haven Benchmark). If he wants to invest in technology that is going to change sockets (un-upgrade-able) in this year then I guess you can, but am3+ is going to be here for a little while longer. AMD's APU's will most likely stay on FM2 for one more series (just rumors) so I believe it is a better investment at this time to go AMD.

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Best bang for the buck is Amd hands down. You really want to spend 200 dollars more on a cpu that only gives marginal performance advantages is most daily uses. All these die hard Intel fan boys would jump ship in a second if Amd offered a faster cpu!!!

11. Robsy128

Robsy128

For his budget (I'm guessing his dollars are American?) He can easily get an i5 3750K motherboard bundle with 8GB of RAM. He can then use the leftover cash to spend on a PSU and graphics card. Of course, it will be closer to $750, but you get a much better product if you spend a little more cash (if you do your research into it).

As I said, though... it depends on what he's after. If it's gaming, I'd recommend an Intel processor hands down. If it's anything else - go for AMD. It's not bad... it can certainly handle a lot of the applications out there with ease. But it does struggle when it comes to running a lot on one machine or gaming.

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Both are good IMO! As for Amd struggling gaming I have to laugh at that. MY Phenom II X4 plays all my games without breaking a sweat. I keep up to all others who are running far more expensive Intel chips.

13. Robsy128

Robsy128

I'm just comparing my Phenom AMD processor I currently have against my laptop's i7 and the laptop can handle games much better. For example: World vs World in Guild Wars 2 (Mass player vs player) is a lot more fluid with the i7. The AMD struggles so much with all of the high resolution particle effects, etc.

For general gaming, it's fine :p

Which leads me back to the main question... what is it going to be used for? Hardcore gaming? General gaming? Video editing?

14. ajkane

ajkane

Comparing a Phenom x4 to an i7 is like comparing a Civic to a Ferrari XD but comparing a 8350 to a 3570k is about the same class and they come up about evenly good at their own things. For example the 8350 WHOOT crysis 3! all 8 cores baby! :D Then there is skyrim.... :( sad day for the FX cpu's It uses like 3 cores.

15. Robsy128

Robsy128

Oh yeah, an 8-core processor at 4.0GHz is in the same class. But a phenom X4 is much worse than an i5 3750k :p

As for the investment, well, it depends if he wants to keep upgrading his CPU or whether he wants something that will last a few years. Personally, when I upgrade or make a PC, I want to know that it will run very smoothly for at least 3 years before I have to upgrade it again.

I wish the OP would return and tell us what they're after :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice