1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Upgrade power supply and video card and an older PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GORD970, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GORD970

GORD970 Thread Starter

In order to improve gaming (FPS) on my PC I need to upgrade my video card at which point I will need more power as I only have 300W available. My computer is older. ADM athalon Tripple core processor, 8 gig of ram using windows 10. I'm looking at geforce 1050 4 gig card and power supplies on Amazon. Any thoughts if this will be possible? Is the power supply as straight forward as swapping cards? I'm looking to buy a couple more years on this PC and staying under $500 . Thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Installing a pw supply is quite easy; just look at where cables are connected before you remove the old one. Take a few pics of the current installation so you can refer to them when installing the new one.

Stay away from cheap pw supplies. Good ie recommended brands; Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] Antec [HCG models ONLY] or Seasonic.

One more item. The 10xx series cards [generally] need a uefi bios and do not work with a legacy bios. There are some exceptions however IF you have a legacy bios and you want to be sure your card works, stay with a 7xx card.

GORD970 likes this.
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    To add to what was said in post #2:

What is the complete description of the AMD processor and motherboard in your PC?
    "AMD Athlon triple core" doesn't tell us anything.

If that's a factory-brand PC and not a self-built one, what is its brand name and model name and model number?

----------------------------------------------------------------

GORD970 likes this.
  4. GORD970

GORD970 Thread Starter

20181222_111315.jpg 20181222_111352.jpg Thank you guys. I will have more questions I'm sure. This is all I have for now as I'm not at home to take more pics or write down model numbers nor have i looked into what bios it runs. It is a factory computed. I've only replaced a bad video card a 2 or 3 years ago. Thanks

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Whether you install a new card or not, I would replace your pw supply. Bestec is junk; used in emachines, gateway and some other oems. A number of years ago there were a LOT of emachines that had a bestec pw supply fail. It would take out the motherboard, ram, etc at the same time. Very low quality.

GORD970 likes this.
  6. GORD970

GORD970 Thread Starter

I just came across a GeForce GTX950 4GB DDR5 FOR $100. I had my sights on a 1050 but is this 950 a steal ? Im sure its twice the card i have now. And the power supply is corsair cp-9020132-na TX650m 80+ gold for $100 in my amazon cart. Thoughts? Thanks

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The corsair TX series is fine. As long as those are new parts and not used, that is a good deal.
    Just a word of caution. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, those are not really designed for the stress of gaming. While you can install a gaming card and it will work, the concept is analogous to installing a high performance cam in an econobox car. It will work however it will never run all that well. We must have at least 3~4000 dells at work and they do a great job for us however I would never think of trying to game with one of them.

There is a lot more to a gaming system than simply installing a video card. A gaming system starts with a performance motherboard with heavy duty capacitors, heavy duty VRs [voltage regulators] steel slots for the video card, extra chipset cooling, etc. The processor needs a heavy duty cooler to deal with the extra heat, etc, etc, etc.

GORD970 likes this.
  8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP PC.
    What is the exact model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. GORD970

GORD970 Thread Starter

Screenshot_20181224-102016_Messages.jpg Screenshot_20181224-102016_Messages.jpg so my son can't find the sticker with product and serial but here is model and more important the bios is legacy. Does this tell me i should give up now? A 700 series card or less maybe my only option? Tks for help

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The thing with the 9/10 cards is really hit and miss. Sometimes the card mfg puts in a legacy switch so it works. Sometimes the board mfg releases a bios update to support the cards. With a hp, you are not going to have a bios update to support video cards. HP has no vested interest in you upgrading; they would much rather sell you a new system. If you had an asus, gigiabyte, or other motherboard, you would be much more sure the card would work.

If you want to take a chance that it will work fine. If you want to be sure it will work, go with a 750/760 type card.

GORD970 likes this.
  11. GORD970

GORD970 Thread Starter

15456791846137267566501111274928.jpg 15456792675164417680053640872831.jpg here is the info on my PC and the current video card I have in it. Would be a lot easier if cards would advertise what bios they run or can run.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well the fact of the matter is that nvidia does not support legacy bios however nvidia only mfg the chipset NOT the card. The individual card mfg may or may not put in a legacy switch.
    Honestly [IMO] it is not worth putting any money into this old of a system. It is now going on 10yrs old. Up to you if you want to invest time/money into old tech.
    If it were me, I would install something like a gtx 750ti or a gtx 760. In any case, you are going to encounter a bottleneck in regard to your processor.
    If your intent is to play old games, it should be ok however if you are thinking of playing any modern games, it is going to be a disappointment.

As I said, there is a lot more to a gaming system than just a video card.

13. GORD970

GORD970 Thread Starter

I understand. Thank you. I have tested my system and I know it will run a better card. As you have explained it may not be much better or worth my while at all to try. My kid runs Iracing which is constantly upping there graphics. He cant live without it lol. Im afraid i will have to spend big money. Thank you all.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a HP Pavilion p6218f Desktop PC which came with the following:
    Foxconn H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) motherboard
    AMD Athlon II X3 425 2.70 GHz 3-core processor
    cpu.JPG

I agree with crjdriver.
    Upgrading to a better-performing graphic card and power supply to make that a gaming PC is a waste of time and money.
    Its processor is too weak and its hardware is too old.

------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice