1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade problem from 98 to XP (missing win.com file)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kngsxvigil, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kngsxvigil

kngsxvigil Thread Starter

I was installing the XP Home upgrade and I got an error message that said that some file couldn't be copied. When I agreed to quit the install I get the windows98 splash screen and ,then a C:/ prompt that is preceded by the error message:
    "Cannot find WIN.COM, unable to continue loading Windows"
    I tried to follow the microsoft knowledge articles that address this issue, but I'm not as savvy, I guess. I keep getting error messages saying either that I can't extract, or bad command....etc.
    Where do I begin?!?!
    I tried to boot up from my Win98 Boot Floppy, but nothing happens, and I'm unsure of how to copy or extract or Where to extract "from" and "to"
    The instructions aren't as rudimentary as I need. Do I perform these tasks from the C:\ prompt, or do I perform it from the A:\ prompt (after restarting with the Boot Floppy inserted), or do I type in the commands from the C:\ or D:\ or E:\ prompt AFTER booting up with the Boot Floppy inserted???
    My Hard Drive is my C:\ drive; D:\ is my CD-ROM, and E:\ is my CD-RW Drive. My Win98 CD Rom is in my CD-Rom Drive

How the heck do I do this right?!
    Please help, and be very rudimentary in your instructions, as I have failed miserably to correct this with the help already available. What I need now, apparently, is some "hand-holding".
    (ADDENDUM)
    While upgrading from Win98SE to WinXP home edition I got this error message but I don't remember the exact error message. It went to a blue screen (not the typical blue screen) and indicated some file (name not remembered) was not copied correctly or was corrupted...I don't remember the wording and it gave me an opportunity to either press enter to continue to press F3 to Quit or to press another option, I don't remember, but I think it was F2 that was to skip this file which was not recommended. When I tried and pressed Enter, it flashed to the status bar of about 3% complete (for maybe a nanosecond)then immediately returned to the same error screen. When I chose to quit, it went to reboot and went to an indicator that it was Uninstalling Windows XP. The final message showed what I indicated was the problem that I ended with...that Windows does not load, but goes through the Splash Screen then stops on a black screen with a C:\ prompt and says that the WIN.COM file is missing.
    That is as complete a description that I can recall. I'm sorry that I didn't write down the error message word for word. I know this is beneficial, but I assumed that the "reverting" to Win98SE would occur. I was wrong. Now, I want to do one of two things, complete the installation of WinXP or correct the Win98 issue, OR BOTH. I just need my desktop PC clone working again.
    Please help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice