1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by depawl, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Recently upgraded from an old Biostar MB w/a Cyrix 166 CPU, 64 m EDO ram, to an FIC VA-503+, AMD K62/550, 256 m SDRAM. The new system is actually
    slower. It seems like my HD runs much more now than before. It takes about 7 seconds just to open the My Computer folder (during which time the HD
    runs constantly), before the upgrade it took about 2 seconds. I'm running Win98. Any ideas? I've double checked all the settings on the MB and
    verified everything is correct.
    Thanks.

2. brianF

brianF

Any error messages in device manager, anything about msdos compatibility mode.

did you install the os clean or move the hard drive over, this could lead to system device problems.

Is dma checked on the hard drives in device manager

3. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

No error messages anywhere. Did a clean install of Win98. Added one expansion card at a time and let Windows detect it. Hard drive is running DMA.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you looked in the bios setup to be sure the DMA option there is selected?

5. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

The settings for the HD in bios are : UDMA2, LBA.
    Also, just for the hell of it I tried unchecking DMA in the HD settings in Device Manager. I couldn't notice any difference in my system performance.. Also, (prior to unchecking DMA) I ran a diagnostic program called SiSoft Sandra and it said to enable DMA.
    Any idea what's up?

6. brianF

brianF

dma should be enabled, udma 2 is ata33 which should be correct for your system I beleive.

go to start/settings/control panel/system/performance tab I beleive, virtual memory, is it set to allow windows to control.

Also while your there what is the system resources at???

7. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Windows is controlling virtual memory.
    System resources are around 70% (depending on what else is running).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice