1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade processor and ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dwojo1, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwojo1

dwojo1 Thread Starter

I have an IBM Aptiva computer with an AMD-K6 500mhz computer and 120 mb of SDRAM. I'm not sure what type of motherboard it is nor do I know where to find out (no help from the Aptiva website). IBM gives no information as to whether a processor upgrade is possible or not. I know it only has 2 slots for RAM though.

I would like to upgrade the processor and the RAM. Is there an easy way I can change the amount of slots available for RAM? Can I upgrade the processor? If so am I limited to type? The current specs say max 256 RAM - will this change if I change the processor?

Thanks.

DWojo

2. Sponsor

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You can't add more RAM slots. If your motherboard only has two, then that's all you have. The maximum amount of RAM won't change with a processor upgrade. If it's 256, then that's all you can put on.

4. dwojo1

dwojo1 Thread Starter

Max and others,

Thanks for the help. What do you suggest for upgrades then? Should I just wait until I absolutely have to and buy a brand new computer or is there a cheaper way to do it? I have only a basic knowledge of the hardware but am satisfied with all of my current storage areas and Windows 98 seems to be fine. Thanks for the help.

Dwojo

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If you're satisfied with your system, why do you want to upgrade at all? A processor upgrade (if it's possible) isn't going to give you much of a performance boost. RAM is inexpensive, so I would suggest upgrading that. You could also add a larger hard drive if you want more storage.

If you want a much faster processor and more than 256 RAM, then you need a new motherboard. There's no way around that.

6. kramnnim

kramnnim

Wouldnt you be able to install two 256MB sticks?

7. brianF

brianF

Sorry, no, it means the motherboard will only support 256meg of ram total

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61235