1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade processor Dell (Board:E210882, Chip:865PE)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jay711, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

I bought Dell Dimension 4600 with P4 2.4Ghz and wanted upgrade to 3.0Ghz or higher. I want to make sure that I am buying a right CPU.

The spec said I can upgrade to 3.0Ghz/800FSB, but according to user win2kpro on this thread, he said my motherboard is D865PESO, so I went to the Intel website and find this page.

The page says that it supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† , so I follow the link which show that the motherboard supports 3.20 - 3.46Ghz/ 800FSB.

Since Dell said supports upto 3.0Ghz, my question is can I upgrade to P4 Extreme Edition 3.46Ghz?

2. WarC

WarC

The motherboard in your computer is equipped with a Socket 478 CPU interface.

Most processors of that Socket type will run on your computer, theoretically. The fastest single core processor available for it is a 3.0GHz.

3. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

This one is socket 478 and it's 3.46Mhz

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium4HTXE/index.htm

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I DID NOT say conclusively that the board was a D865PESO. I said that I was fairly certain that the board was a DELL modification of either a D865PESO or D865GLC.

According to the INTEL site, the D865PESO was an OEM only motherboard.

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865peso/index.htm

Note at the bottom of the page INTEL states; "Note: This product offered to direct OEM customers only. Channel customers should refer to the Desktop Board Roadmap for future offerings."

The processors supported by INTEL boards are determined by the AA number (revision number of the board). Most manufacturers DO NOT put the INTEL revision number on the board. The processors supported by the D865PESO are located in this table from INTEL. These supported processors may or may not be applicable to each manufacturers specifications for their OEM boards.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/so/so_proc.htm

If DELL states that a 3.0ghz. processor is the maximum processor your board will support then you have to believe that the manufacturers statement is correct since they are the only one that knows for sure what their modification entailed.

5. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

Well, I just guess that 2 years ago when I bought Dell it might not has processors higher than 3.0Ghz in the market yet, so Dell just put the spec just that.

I look at the picture of D865PESO and it's the same as my board, so I figure I would try 3.46Ghz. Well, it will be pricey if it doesn't work.

Have anyone else tried this before?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I can confirm that OEM versions of motherboards may look the same but there are usually custom BIOS limitations that restrict the upgradeability.

That may or may not affect you, but I have been similarly caught when the retail version supported an upgrade but the OEM did not, on an HP PC.

The limitations, if any, are usually put in place so that any unknown problems (for future higher spec chips) will not prove to be detrimental or a support problem. Locking the ability out is easier.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, I would't try to use a processor unless the machine's manufacturer stated that it was supported by that particular board.

Manufacturers do not have their "proprietary" boards manufactured so they are highly upgradeable. You have to be cognizant of the fact that when a manufacturer has either a standard OEM or retail board modified for their particular application the board is no longer a standard OEM or retail board, but has become a manufacturers "proprietary" board and although the "proprietary" board may look the same as an OEM or retail board there may be significant internal differences in their boards.

This is the reason that upgrades/updates are only listed on the machine manufacturers website rather than the actual board manufacturers site. The board manufacturers never list upgrades/updates on their sites for manufacturer "proprietary" boards.

8. SacsTC

SacsTC

Here's a link to the processors supported by the 865PESO board when it is an Intel labeled board. http://intel.com/design/motherbd/so/so_proc.htm Note the AA #'s listed on the side of the table for Intels most recent and Extreme processors. All of the 1 Mg cache processors are Prescotts and Extreme Edition processors.You must have a board with an AA # equal to or above those listed in order to use those processors on an 865 board. There may also be bios limitations that will stop the board from booting with those processors.

Here is the Dell spec for the board: Microprocessor::: Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.26, 2.4, 2.533, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally, or 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, or 3.4 GHz internally and 800 MHz externally

Level 1 (L1) cache
    8 KB first-level

Level 2 (L2) cache
    512-KB or 1-MB pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM

Without seeing your board and whether or not Dell has labeled the board with AA # sticker, I would say you are stuck with the processors that have a 512 cache level. In other words, the ones starting with 3.4 below the line that splits at 2.40A and 3.4

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

10. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

Well, I did read that, that's why I started the thread here. I want to try highest possible CPU that is not listed by Dell.

11. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

where did you find this, 3.4 GHz internally and 800 MHz externally? is it from the motherboard with onboard Video?

12. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Look, do you or do you not have onboard video with your mobo?

13. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

I understand. I don't have the onboard video and Dell document says the system is support upto 3.0Ghz. The reason I asked because my board is Intel D865PESO, and intel says it support 3.4Ghz.

Anyway, I quite understand now that it's Dell propritary board which may not the same as the original Intel board.

Thank you for all the reply.

Jay

14. jay711

jay711 Thread Starter

Can I use "Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz 1 MB 800Mhz FSB Socket 478 OEM NEW" with my system (see spec here) ?

The CPU is HyperThreading, but the Service Manual doesn't say it supports HT. Can I still use this CPU?

Please advise.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!