1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Upgrade Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dktemple7, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 and I've been entirely happy with it. But, I was recently looking at some home design software (3D Architect Home Designer by Elecosoft) and it requires a Intel Core i3 processor at minimum).

My current computer has an Intel Core2 Duo [email protected], 3.0 GB RAM, 2.99 GB Total physical memory, and is running Windows 7.

Could a Intel Core i3 processor (or faster) be installed in this computer?

Thanks, Darlene

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No Core i series processor is compatible with that system, only Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors, and only certain models.

Realistically it's time for a new system. Core 2 systems are pretty obsolete, a lot has changed in the 10 years since the E8200 was launched.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

Well, maybe I'll have to look into a new computer. I just can't afford a lot right now. Maybe something refurbished. Thanks!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That i3(2 cores plus hyperthreading) also comes with a 128GB SSD(really fast drive). Alternatively there's also i5's(4 cores) for $179 as well but with a 250GB traditional hard drive(slower drive like your current one). And then you can add an extra 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB ad you have a really fast system.

7. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

8. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

Wow...thanks! I have a lot of shopping to do. It would probably be better to get the i5, but then I'd have to add RAM. And, possibly the hard drive. My current hard drive is 500GB. If you have any more ideas, let me know :)

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How much of the 500GB are you using?

10. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

I'm looking at a Dell Optiplex 9020 with a i5 processor and 500 GB of RAM for $329. A little more than I would like to pay, but I will sleep on it. I'll have to check how much shipping is.

Thank you all for your help!

11. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

It says 228 GB free of 455 GB. Although, I just tried re-installing AutoCAD 2010. That didn't work, but the files are there

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, so just under 250GB used. Unless you've got a large amount of junk accumulated you likely don't want to get a drive under 250 GB.

13. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

Yeah, I think I feel more comfortable with 500 GB. I the past, I have added RAM and replaced a HD. But, at this time, I think something straight out-of-the-box would be better. I'm thinking about getting the one with Windows 7 Professional. I know it's about outdated, but I can always upgrade in the future. The other ones had 8.1. What do you think?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I did prefer Windows 7 to 8, 8.1 wasn't too bad though. And yeah you can upgrade either to Windows 10 for free.

15. dktemple7

dktemple7 Thread Starter

Ok, thank you much! I think I've made my decision. Like you said, it is time for a new system. Hey, I got 10 years out of this one and that isn't bad.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice