1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antares, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antares

antares Thread Starter

Should I upgrade my processor speed? Look at my spec in my sig and see if I should. Also, here is the compatibility list of peoples computer that upgraded their processor.

My system is a G6-400 and the model # is Intel (Tabor II- WS440BX).

https://www.quickbase.com/db/6v74ue7a?a=s&dvqid=20&query={'1002'.CT.'Gateway'}&clist=1008.1017.1023.1015.1021.1002.1003.1016.1006.1012.1014&slist=1002.1003&opts=sortorder-AA.groupby-V.clt-2.tmx-35

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

that Gateway G-6 you have is a Dinosaur!

If the speed is not working for ya, there's some great deals on motherboards and CPU's in the P-4 and High end Celeron range.

Or, if you're not wanting to deal with upgrades, you might want to just buy a new system.

my mom just bought a new Dell 2.0 GHz without a monitor for $499.

the biggest drawback you upgrading your system is that the P-4 and new Celeron systems requore new motherboards and have higher power requirements.

Hope this helps!

ST

3. zeddy

zeddy

As I read the link it suggests a Tualatin 1.4 Celery is possible, is that correct? sounds like a good cheap upgrade to me!

4. antares

antares Thread Starter

If you think my Gateway is a dinosaur, I have a old Pentium 140(?) system that is still kicking! Also I have a 1 Mhz, yes, a 1 Mhz Apple Computer that I got back in the 80's.

About the Tualatin 1.4 Celery, could that work? If it worked on that persons computer then it could with mine.

5. gws226

gws226

I think you should consider what you need this PC for before you open your wallet.

Don't get me wrong I'm still a fan off PII's and have rebuilt quiet a few, shoved em full of ram, and made people quite happy.

If your thinking of putting together a gamer or heavy use workstation then the investment may not be worth it. If your primary use is the browsing the web, checking email, and word processing tasks then this may be an excellent move for you.

6. antares

antares Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!