1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade processor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fyzbo, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I have an old desktop with a pentium 4 2.2GHZ processor. It seems it can't handle the netflix streaming (processor goes up to 100%). Am I able to upgrade the processor?

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That depends on your motherboard/system.

If this is a brand name system like a Dell or HP then please post the make and model. Otherwise we need to know what motherboard you have. Download SIW if you don't know what motherboard you have: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Check your motherboard specs, it should tell you what processors are supported by the board.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    But I haven't seen any requirements posted for their Viewer so I'm not sure that the requirements are very high. Are you sure you have the latest video and sound drivers installed? And that the CPU is not overheating?

Post your complete system specs and if you are experiencing any other problems.

6. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

The pc is a gateway 700xl, but I am having trouble finding it's specs online.

Pentium 4 2.2Ghz
    1 GB ram

I will run that software and get back here.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's because Gateways are not meant to be upgraded and they post little specs and help on how to do so. Its hard to find what CPU's Gateway has decided to support in any particular system.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

From Netflix (You have to have an account and be signed in to view this info):

Q: What are the system requirements to watch movies instantly on my PC?
    A: You need a computer
    - running Windows Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    - Internet Explorer version 6 or higher
    - Windows Media Player version 11
    - a broadband Internet connection
    - and the free Netflix Movie Viewer software (which we prompt you to install the first time you instantly view a movie).

Q: Is my internet connection fast enough to watch movies?
    A: We recommend a broadband connection of at least 700 Kb/s to watch movies instantly on your PC. The faster your connection, the better the quality. For DVD quality video and audio, a connection of least 2.4 Mb/s is required.

9. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I know it's not the connection as I can watch the moves great on my new laptop. It's the old desktop that has problems and the processor runs up to 100%.

10. elvla2

elvla2

11. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

from SIW

Property Value
    Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Model D850MV
    Version AAA57887-301
    Serial Number IUMV20509510

North Bridge Intel i850 Revision A3
    South Bridge Intel 82801BA (ICH2) Revision A3

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
    Cpu Socket Socket 478 mPGA

System Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
    Maximum Memory Module Size 512 MBytes
    Memory Slots 4
    Error Correction Single-bit ECC

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is a 400 meg FSB so the maximum upgrade would be 2.6 P4 and that would give you almost nothing noticeable really.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What process is running at 100%? Internet Explorer?
    Have you scanned your system for viruses and spyware?
    Your system is not underpowered to view videos. There's another cause to the problem. It could be some type of browser / system corruption or too many processes running (legitimate or not).

14. BG-0

BG-0

Many people unconciously run tons of "quickstart" or "agent" type add-ons of the installed programs. They quite considerably eat up your peformance. Try and eliminate those. One windows-integrated tool for this is msconfig.exe found at C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe. Run it, choose the last tab: Startup and untick everything you don't really need to be running in your taskbar. (Note that this will not remove any programs from your computer, it just keeps them from starting at startup) Hope this was all old info to you. Do not touch your firewall and antivirus programs, as well keep your fingers off the other tabs, you can really break your Windows with them if you don't know just EXACTLY what you're doing.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice