Upgrade question concerning games...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kintaro56

Hello,

I have a Pentium III 447 mhz Gateway computer that I purchased in July 1999, with 128 MB of Ram.

How much can I upgrade the computer? I'm heavily into gaming, and most of the recent games that I've tried run horribly on it.

I had a friend open the tower and take a look, and he mentioned that I have two slots in which i can add more memory...will that make a difference in how it runs?

Also, is it a bad idea to put more money into it, considering how old it is?

Finally, how much would a top notch laptop or desktop cost now?

Thanks in advance!

You could probably upgrade the CPU, and maybe the RAM, but even then, it won't do that well in stuff like Doom 3/Far Cry.....you'd be better off just buying a new one. You could use your existing monitor and just build a new tower for less than $500 that would play the latest games just fine.

Kintaro56

Thanks, everyone.

The card is: NVIDIA TNT 16.0 MB

System model is a TABOR_II?

I know I have to breakdown and do something, but I've been reluctant to spend the money.

techkid

David
Considering the prices and even availability of parts, it'd be easier to buy a new computer outright. Really, you just need a tower, and it'd probably be cheaper than upgrade, upgrade, upgrade...

Kintaro56

Thanks again everyone!

I now have an excuse to junk the current computer I'm using. :D

etaf

Wayne
what do you have in the OLD PC thats transferable.
IE
CD-RW
DVD
Floppy
etc etc

what games do you want to play
whats your budget

AMD tends to be th evalue for money configuration.
512M of memory
graphic card with 256m of memory

post some wish lists

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online