Upgrade Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PAman

I have a HP Pavilion a574n, I plan on replacing the hard drive "already gone through 2 HD provided by HP" and with help, hopefully be able to install XP Pro if i can. I have a "legal Copy w/receipt" that is going to waste on an old broke down computer of mine that i would like to install on this one, because XP Pro is better for gaming and thats what i am into. Have to make the best use of my 6800 ultra :)

Will there be issues with Bios? will i have to clear it and how?

What ever help anyone can give, thanks in advance.

Stan D

Depends what version the "legal copy w/receipt" is, if it was purchased with the "old" computer as OEM, technically it cannot be transferred. It must die with the PC.

If it's a full version however, just install the new HDD and boot from the XP CD. At activation if it refuses you will need to ring MS and explain that its been uninstalled from the old PC.

Really don't see how XP Pro will help with games though, the core is the same as XP Home.

dustyjay

Jay
A little (or not) note about OEM versions of WinXP. It used to be that the only ways to purchase an OEM version of Windows was either to purchase a big box Computer with the OS preinstalled and included with the restore discs, or to purchase a major system component (eamples, HDD, Mother Board) on the same purchase order with the OEM software. This is no longer the case, you can purchase the OEM version of WinXp by itself with out a qualifying Major System Component. However the EULA (End Users Licensing Agreement) is the same. Once that OEM copy of WinXP has been installed on a particular system it becomes legally a part of that system and cannot be moved to another system even if it is completely removed from the original system.

You can however Install an Upgrade version of WinXP if you own a full install retail version of one of the Required OS's, such as Win 98 or Win ME for example. To do a clean install, you boot the computer with the upgrade disc and it will ask you to insert the original (say) Win 98 Disc to verigfy that you qualify for the upgrade. Once it has verified this it will install WinXP clean as though you were installing from a retail Full install version of Win XP. There is a difference of more than just a few dollars. You may still only install that copy of Windows on one machine at a time and if installed on another computer, it must be completely removed from all other computers first.

PAman

Its not an OEM version Its a full retail version, not an upgrade version,i spent over 300 for it the first day it came out. As far as gaming,i don't know, They say its better so who am i to argue with that lol. I haven't read anything that says its not true :)

PAman

As i said to the other person, its a retail version of XP Pro not a OEM version. My plan is to install a brand new hard drive and install the retail version. And yes i kinda figured i would have to explain to MS why i am moving the Retail version lol all that left of the other computer is the case which i dont plan on using. I am going to Build another Machine and :( buy another retail version of XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online