1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taocow, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taocow

taocow Thread Starter

First time poster looking for some upgrade advice. Have a machine that's a little over a year old that I built myself:

CPU AMD 64 |3500+ ATHLON
    2GB RAM
    ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE MB
    NVIDIA 7800GT
    550 POWER SUPPLY
    WIN XP PRO

It's been a great machine and is fast as hell for 50% of what I do, but for the other half, games, it's starting to lag. TF2 is pushing it and Crysis is out of the question. I'm thinking of upgrading the vid card, cpu or both. I'm not on a limitless budget, but I could go high end if it would mean getting another couple of years out of it. That being said, I have two questions:

Video Cards
    Are super high end cards a waste on this architecture? I I were to plunk down $650 on a Nvidia 8800 Ultra, would all that power be wasted when paired with my cpu or the vid card meant to carry the load regardless of the cpu?

Processors
    Is it worth upping to a heftier processor, or would I only get a nominal performance bump?

As you can tell, I know just enough to be ignorant, so any and all opinions would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. taocow

taocow Thread Starter

3. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

well seeing you have an ASUS A8N-SLI MB, you are limited to the 939 socket (not too many left), but from what i am seeing at newegg, you can get a x2 3800+ (as you can see from my comp specs, they can overclock a decent amount) for $60, but if you are not into overclocking the best CPU that you can get is dual core opteron @2.6 Ghz ($230) or $64-70 on an x2 4200+. A better CPU than the one you have now is needed to get more out of these new video cards.

For the best bang for you buck video card, the 8800GT (just came out...around $250) from what i see, it performs just under the 8800GTX, but people have been overclocking those a lot.

4. 00trav

00trav

for what its worth i had a similar problem a couple months ago. except my 6800gt blew up, so i was forced to. i have a 3500+ as well. i ended up getting an 8600gt mainly so that it had DirectX10 capabilities. but i wish i had gone with the 8800gt (which wasn't out at the time).
    as far as performance, i haven't seen that much of a difference. i mean, yes HL2 looks better and can be run a little higher, but if want to play really high end games you are looking at a whole system upgrade, psu, processor, mobo, video card.

simply answer: yes you will see a "beauty" upgrade, but with games that require hard core physics and what not, you will need a faster processor.

5. taocow

taocow Thread Starter

thanks, i appreciate the input. will look into those processors and see what i can get going. have also been avoiding the vista "upgrade" due to all of the horror stories, but may have to.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice