1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade RAID-5 capacity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by decz, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. decz

decz Thread Starter

Hello, I'm getting low on space with my media servers RAID-5 and will be upgrading all the drives to a higher capacity. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to replace the RAID drives without having to completely recreate the array. I found an article that suggested replacing drive 1 and rebuilding the array, then replace drive 2 and rebuild, etc.
    Does anyone know if this method works or if there is a better solution?

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you install the all the new drives along side the old ones? If so you could build a second RAID-5 array and then clone the old array over. You can also clone the RAID-5 to a single drive then replace the drives in the array with the new ones and clone the the single drive back to the new array.

3. decz

decz Thread Starter

I realized I had an external drive laying around that is big enough that I can backup the RAID data to it then restore to the larger array.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will have to extend the partition into the unallocated part of the array since the image will restore to the same size. If your old raid5 was 1TB and the new one is 2TB, it will only show as 1TB until you extend the partition.

5. decz

decz Thread Starter

Well my RAID is 2Tb currently and I'd like to replace the 1Tb drives with 3Tb drives. What I'll do is just FastCopy the data from the RAID to the 2Tb external HDD. After that I will replace the RAID drives, create the new array and FastCopy the data back.

Too bad I can't just replace one drive at a time to upgrade the array size but I imagine all the rebuilds would take longer than just a FastCopy back and forth.

Thanks for the information!

BTW, this is the article I originally mentioned: http://www.richstevenson.com/2009/09/15/expanding-a-raid5-array-without-losing-data/

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I assume you have checked and your raid controller does in fact support drives >2TB.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice