1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade The Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stu37, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

i'm trying to get my bios upgraded and i am sending you the right download, any of these and wondered which you thought was the best one and how do i make it work. I tried @BIOS and the computer keeps popping up with @bios has encountered an error and must be shut down. Then it says can't make a floppy with a boot from winXP. Any ideas on what to do? Would the dos flash utility work and if so what do i do? Why i am trying to update the bios is the computer keeps rebooting on it's own and as you will see they have changed fan speeds. If i have to i'll go to E-Support to order the floppy, which i really don't want to do after i done it once, and don't like their sales pitches. This is for another computer of mine which has xp home and amd 1700 processor, 512 memory. Or if there's another place to make a floppy on the web would be nice. Thanks.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7VTXE+.htm

2. Arky

Arky

What are you expecting to gain by a BIOS upgrade?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Updating the bios does not often fix a rebooting problem. You update a bios when it [the bios update] addresses a specific issue you are having. Unless the text file that describes the update has a feature / fix you need, then leave it alone.

Your sig shows an hp computer, however the link you have is to a gigabyte site. You must use the bios from the mgf ie hp. Quite often a big box mgf [like hp or dell] will customize the board / bios; you must get the update from them.

4. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

crjdriver, if you will note on the bottom of my post i state it's for another computer, not the signature one. and the bios is old. I have tried everything i can think of and i think it's overheating. The computer is 3 yrs old and it's a Systemax, not a HP, or Dell,
    No drivers clashing as far as i can tell. Went into device drivers and all seem fine. Any other ideas than that?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why do you think a BIOS flash will fix overheating? I hope you realize there's a ton of people here who have killed their boards trying to flash the BIOS - thats why we are questioning your reasoning.

What are you temps? Use Speedfan to find out: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.phphttp://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

You may also want to test your RAM: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

As for buying a bootdisk, you can send me money if you like... or go to www.bootdisk.com for a utility to make one and Gigabyte to get the DOS flash utility and BIOS image file as well as the instructions.

6. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

ok i went into BIOS and here are the temps and fan speeds:
    cpu temp= 52c/125f system temp39c/102f
    cpu fan speeds 5273-6626
    system fan speeds 2343-2481

7. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

forgot to tell you i have tested ram it was on the test all night and no errors

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps are a little high, however not too bad. I have seen some very rare instances where a bios upgrade affected temps; actually it caused it to increase. For the most part, a bios update will not change your temps. One thing you might check in the bios is your voltages. Let it run for a while and see if they vary at all. They should be constant with little or no fluctuation.

9. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

Any idea on what they should be? Thanks for the replies

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I like to see an amd chip between 40-45C; a p4 <40C unless it is the prescott core then it will run hotter.

Your temps are not too bad @52C. It is well below the value that will cause damage to the processor. It would help if you state what you are trying to fix with a bios update. Updates are done to correct a specific problem that the update addresses.

11. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

The problem was rebooting itself all the time and i think overheating. I did flash the bios. Speedfan did not work with old one, but it does now and here are the readings, which seem very high to me. If that is the case what suggestions do you have to cool it dow. I know more fans, but what type and brand. Can you name a few good brands. I will go to Best Buys and buy if they sell good ones. Thanks and here are the readings from speedfan.

Attached Files:

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Not sure what that 180 refers to but :eek: I'm not that familiar with AMD processors, but if it has a fan ontop, you may need to remove it and reapply thermal paste.

13. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

are you referring to the little box with louvers and the fan on top? If i recalled when i cleaned it a couple weeks ago there was no thermal paste on the unit. The louvers were deep enough so the screws engaged between them to fasten fan.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

15. stu37

stu37 Thread Starter

ok you went to same site i did and the bottom says thermal paste or pad and that sounded like paste not recommended, so thanks AcaCandy and i shall wait and see if anyone is familiar with this

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice