1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade to existing comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ri7425ck, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ri7425ck

ri7425ck Thread Starter

I presently have the following, MB EVGA 122-CK, Proc. 2.40G Core 2 Duo, HDD WDC300 Raptor w/ Win7 home prem., HDD WDC500 For storage. 8GB memory, Nvidia GeForce 800 GTS. I am going to upgade to a MB ASus P8Z68-V Pro,
    CPU Core I5 2500K 3.3G, Mem 4Gx2 corsair CMX8GX3M2B1600C9R. I would apreciate any advice concerning this upgrade. Do you think I should reinstal Windows? I am trying to do all the homework before I attempt this. One other Question, the MB has Intel Smart Technology, Where you add a SSD drive and run it raid with your HDD. I have heard of this option but have not heard of any opinions either yay or nay?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You might not have a choice as to reinstalling Windows, Windows doesn't like the motherboard being changed and can fail to boot due to the hard drive controller not being the same. But regardless, to get the most out of the upgrade you should do a clean install of Windows and then you are starting fresh with the hardware and a format and reinstall is a free performance "upgrade" that clears out all the garbage, software, old drivers, etc from the system.

I haven't looked into Intel Smart Technology but I do use SSD's for boot drives in all my systems, I did find this which shows it doing very well but not as good as an SSD as the main drive: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching-review/4
    However you do have a Raptor which is also plenty fast so maybe pairing that with say an inexpensive 32GB SSD would be a goo pairing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice