1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade to Gaming Specs.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TreebeardTheEnt, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TreebeardTheEnt

TreebeardTheEnt Thread Starter

A while ago i got this computer as a gift, and it worked nicely, mostly because i just wanted to play what i had and it was better than the old one. Now though i've got some cash and want to get some games, but first i need to upgrade. Comp's specs

I've already bought new RAM so my next target is a video card. Looking around it appears i use PCIx16 or w/e cards. I'd like something that would last me at least a year or two but it doesn't need to be top of the line. Suggestions on the card choices themselves, and also if i need to do anything else please tell me. *note* wow i must be tired because this reads horribly lol. o well.

2. brite750

brite750

oh this one is easy, give us a price range or a drop dead price
    also have to ask about your psu, can you open case and read off the watts and amps on the 12v rails

3. TreebeardTheEnt

I think i read somewhere it was a 300 watt, but ill check when i install the ram tonight.

As for prices, i've got 150$ on hand but could get another 100-150 fairly easily, and am willing to spend it all :p.

4. brite750

brite750

good because I'm thinking you will need a real psu for a gaming card, more like a decent 400 or greater psu, I have a Coolermaster 500 watt, probably line $50 or less online, then you might want to look at an ATI3870 or a nvidia8800GT

5. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Fortunately, you give us plenty to work with. We just need to know how much you plan on spending.

$260 - $300 - nVidia GeForce 8800GT - Able to play most games on full. The only exception out there is Crysis. Even then, I can get mine to run on highest DX9 settings 1440x900, no AA and get a good framerate.

$150 - $200 - nVidia GeForce 8600GTS - About half as powerful as the GeForce 8800GT. Maybe a bit less. Should be able to run older games max settings. Some of the newer games out there (Call of Duty 4, Company of Heroes, anything within the past five or so months) you will have to turn down the settings a bit- maybe to about medium.

$100 - $150 - nVidia GeForce 8600GT - About 20% slower than the GeForce 8600GTS.

I always recommend nVidia graphics cards. They are pretty much the standard for gamers (I know someone is going to argue this), and I believe you get more performance for your money (Again, doubtlessly someone will argue this).

Edit: You will definitely need a better PSU. I was writing this while you and Brite posted.

6. TreebeardTheEnt

Yea, figured that might be the case, and i googled around and it looks like it is 300.

Thanks for the help, i'll just shop around for the psu and cards and see what kind of deals i can find :)

*Edit* was writing during above post.

I think ill try and find the 8800 for as low as possible and get the psu at the same time.

7. brite750

brite750

8. brite750

brite750

thought I saw the 256mb version of the 8800Gt on tigerdirect

9. brite750

brite750

10. brite750

brite750

11. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

For $200 - $220 you can get the 256MB version of the 8800GT on Newegg (after rebates). You won't be able to turn the screen resolution up as high as the 512MB version, though. The cheapest 512MB version is $264 from NewEgg, but it's from LeadTek, a brand I would not recommend to anybody.

12. TreebeardTheEnt

The 256 should probably be good enough for me :).

Oh and i decided what the heck and maxed out my ram :p (4 gig).

And thanks again.

Heres what i got (2 of them) RAM. I'll get the PSU and video card probably within the next paycheck or two and then i'll be good to go :)

13. brite750

brite750

hold on there you realize 32 bit OS can not see it right, I think the max is 3gigs

14. gomes

gomes

Get a PSU, video and soundcard, and possibly some fans to put in your case for future overheating problems. Most commercial lined computers (Compaq, HP, e-Machine) aren't necessarily made for gaming... But that doesn't mean that you can't game on your machine. Make sure the case is nice for air circulation and side ventilation holes.

Attached Files:

15. TreebeardTheEnt

Oh? Well its reading 3.5, which im fine with :p.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice