Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrade to Vista refuses to upgrade

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  RootbeaR 
#1 ·
I ordered this copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade:
http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwiviulup.html

As stated on this page, it is supposed to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional provided it is a clean install.

I started the installation from within the Windows 2000 GUI; but, the Vista setup halted with a message that upgrade is disabled and I must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista to upgrade.

I started the Vista setup by booting from the Vista setup disk and it has now halted with this message: "To use the product key you entered, start the installation from your existing version of Windows."

Catch 22

What should I do now?

#6 ·
I sent the reseller an e-mail just now asking for an RMA.
Good luck with that.
I have never successfully returned opened software.

It is assumed that you opened and copied and are now returning.

While waiting for their response, I would try again with a fresh re-install of 2000, fully updated(behind a router with no anti-anything, straight to MS updates).

#7 ·
Good luck with that.
I have never successfully returned opened software.

It is assumed that you opened and copied and are now returning.

While waiting for their response, I would try again with a fresh re-install of 2000, fully updated(behind a router with no anti-anything, straight to MS updates).
You could also try putting the 2000 disk in, then when it reaches the choices select Custom, then put the Vista disk in.
Saw this elswhere.

#8 ·
From Windows Secrets, by Brian Livingston.

Step 1. Boot the PC from the Vista DVD.

Step 2. Select "Install Now," but do not enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Leave the input box blank. Also, turn off the option Automatically activate Windows when I'm online. In the next dialog box that appears, confirm that you really do want to install Vista without entering a Product Key.

Step 3. Correctly indicate the version of Vista that you're installing: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate.

Step 4. Select the "Custom (Advanced)" install, not the "Upgrade" install.

Step 5. Vista copies files at length and reboots itself one or more times. Wait for the install to complete. At this point, you might think that you could "activate" Vista, but you can't. That's because you haven't installed the Vista upgrade yet. To do that, run the DVD's setup.exe program again, but this time from the Vista desktop. The easiest way to start setup again is to eject and then reinsert the DVD.

Step 6. Click "Install Now." Select Do not get the latest updates for installation. (You can check for these updates later.)

Step 7. This time, do enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Once again, turn off the option Automatically activate Windows when I'm online.

Step 8. On this second install, make sure to select "Upgrade," not "Custom (Advanced)." You're not doing a clean install now, you're upgrading to Vista.

Step 9. Wait while Vista copies files and reboots itself. No user interaction is required. Do not boot from the DVD when asked if you'd like to do so. Instead, wait a few seconds and the setup process will continue on its way. Some DOS-like, character-mode menus will appear, but don't interact with them. After a few seconds, the correct choice will run for you automatically.

Step 10. After you click a button labeled Start in the Thank You dialog box, Vista's login screen will eventually appear. Enter the username and password that you selected during the first install. You're done upgrading to Vista.

Step 11. Within 30 days, you must "activate" your copy of Vista or it'll lose functionality. To activate Vista, click Show more details in the Welcome Center that automatically displays upon each boot-up, then click Activate Windows now. If you've dismissed the Welcome Center, access the correct dialog box by clicking Start, Control Panel, System & Maintenance, System. If you purchased a legitimate copy of Vista, it should quickly activate over the Internet. (You can instead activate by calling Microsoft on the phone, which avoids your PC exchanging information with Microsoft's server.)
http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/080403

Above link is for SP1
Above instructions come from Link in this sentence, in the SP1 article, "The original Windows Secrets article contains step-by-step instructions on upgrading Vista in this way." Link is contained in the word "article."

Edit: I believe this is starting with a blank/newly formatted drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.