1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade to W10 and add a second Operating System

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by howard.a.s, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook AH512 Intel Pentium B960 6GB 750GB HDMI 15.6" Laptop

This post is related to the laptop detailed above.

This is a new laptop, as yet unused, still in its original packaging. The laptop has installed Windows 8, which I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. This should be easy enough, as I've already performed the upgrade to Windows 10 on my desktop computer without any problem. However, before doing anything to this new machine, I'd also like to add a second operating system, Windows 7, to the same hard drive, and would be very grateful if anyone reading this post could explain, in very simple terms, how I would go about doing this. Ideally, I'd like to be able to choose which operating system to use each time I start the laptop. Please include as much detail in your reply, with step by step guide. All constructive responses welcome. Many thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have a genuine retail Windows 7 that can be used on this new machine (not many people do)?

3. howard.a.s

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I haven't got as far as this just yet and still need to purchase a W7 operating system. So presumably I should be looking for a genuine hologram disc with COA and not a OEM version or re-installation DVD? As I am non-technically minded, please can you explain what difference this will make, as both are advertised as suitable for activating and registering, and for downloading updates.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that laptop came with Windows 8, it needs to be upgraded to Windows 8.1 first before it can be upgraded to Windows 10.

Terry or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

When you divide a hard drive into 2 partitions so you can dual-boot with 2 Windows operating systems, the older version needs to be installed first.
    Yours is already running Windows 8, so there lies a problem.

Note: I have the hard drive in one of my desktops divided into 2 partitions and set up in dual-boot mode with Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit had to be installed first.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. howard.a.s

Emmm...

I do have 2 retail versions of W7 which are not installed on any other machines. The first is W7 Home and the second is W7 Pro. If I were to reformat the hdd and create 2 partitions (always assuming I knew how to achieve this without toasting my new laptop) then presumably I could upgrade one of these two versions of W7 to W10 whilst leaving the other as-is?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never installed Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional in the same computer in dual-boot mode, so I'm not sure what roadblock you may run into.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to leave the Windows 8 factory restore files intact and don't accidentally destroy or delete them.

Do those Windows 7 retail discs include Service Pack 1 and are they 32-bit or 64-bit?

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OEM versions are for the big companies (Dell, HP, etc.) selling new PCs. OEM System Builders are for new computers being built for sale. Retail versions are for you and me and other individuals to buy and install on any computer we desire (and transfer it to another computer).

You can install an earlier version of Windows after the newer version is installed, but then you need an additional step to set up the dual boot. I've used the free version of EasyBCD for that.

You may save yourself some grief by checking to see if your PC will run Windows 7 (all the drivers available).

You may save yourself some more grief by making sure you know how to get back to the original setup in case you want to submit a warranty claim. Once you install another OS you will probably no longer be able to use the Recovery partition (which I assume is on the hard drive).

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If I viewed the specifications correctly for the Fujitsu LifeBook AH532 Notebook PC, it comes with Windows 8 64-bit and has these primary devices:
    Intel HM76 Chipset
    Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000
    Realtek ALC269 High Definition Audio
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230
    Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit Ethernet
    ALPS Touchpad

Windows 7 64-bit drivers are available for all of those devices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!