Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate from XP Pro SP3

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snehalrana

I have a Dell XPS 410 Desktop with Windows XP Pro SP3. Specifications of the machine are: Windows XP Professional SP3, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 768MB nvidia 8800GTX video card, 500GB hard drive (2 x 250GB as RAID1)

I would like to know if I can upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate without doing clean install or dual boot. Is there an easier way to do this or do I have to do Clean Install.

Any experts out there who can provide some suggestion?

Thanks in advance
Snehal H.Rana

Triple6

Rob
There is no direct upgrade from Windows XP to Vista or 7. You can still use an upgrade disc and the install will create a copy of the current files but you will still need to restore those files back and reinstall all your programs, its much cleaner to backup your data files to an external drive and do a clean install right of the bat.

snehalrana

So what license of Windows 7 Ultimate do I need in order to do so? Meaning will I need Full Install disk or an Upgrade disk? I believe since it is a x32 machine, I would need 32 bit of Windows 7 Ultimate license.

SUEOHIO

SUE
If this helps any when you buy windows 7 whether the full or upgrade version you get 2 disks with it. one will say windows 7 32 bit, one will say windows 7 64 bit.for most people windows 7 professional is good enough for every day computing. ultimate is the business version and is the most expensive version of windows 7 there is.the license that comes with the disks is for both whether you use the 32 bit or 64 bit.two disks one license.the upgrade version is cheaper to buy than the full version.

Triple6

Rob
Since you are not doing a real upgrade, you can use any version of Windows 7; Home, Pro, Ultimate and 32-bit or 64-bit versions if you wanted too. But I'd probably recommend you use a full copy to avoid the hassle of using an Upgrade media since you are not benefiting from an in-place upgrade anyway. And retail Windows 7 copies as mentioned come with both 32-bit and 64-bit media. Why do need Ultimate? Home Premium suffices for most people.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online