1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade to Xp from 98?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MN_N8VTech, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech Thread Starter

I think this is a fairly simple question,but important. I need to upgrade a computer from win98 to XP which has some important files on it. When I run the XP disc will I have the option to upgrade and not do a clean install/format and will all the files remain intact when Im finished? Id like to get this going tonight still if possible,so a quick reply would be greatly appreciated.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes, at least in theory. I have actually done it.

I do not recommend it for 2 reasons:

A dirty upgrade does not always give a reliable install. (I did a clean install a few days afterwards)

There is ALWAYS a significant risk that the data will be lost, you should never consider it unless it is backed up. (I had a full data backup when I did it)

3. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech Thread Starter

Ahhh,ok,i guess I was expecting to hear that it would work fine. Thank you,Ill wait till tomorrow then and ask if they have everything backed up first. Thanks again.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Back everything up first. Then it helps to know if the hardware & software configuration are compatible so go to this site and check it out.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/default.asp XP-READY?

Better to say the Processor type, amount of RAM (512Mb is good, 256Mb will do but 128Mb is a bit too low.) and drive size, as it is better to partition the drive when using NTFS and image the OS drive.

Is the Upgrade XP Home or Pro and does it already have SP2?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Backup what you need to keep and do a clean install formatting with ntfs. You will be happier in the long run since the machine will be more stable. Make sure you have xp drivers for the hardware. If it is an older machine, xp should have native drivers. You might want to download the mfg's drivers anyway since MS drivers are designed for stability; not for performance.

In any case a backup is essential; data that is not backed up is data that you do not care about.

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!