1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade to XP - ME is corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ThatsMe2, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThatsMe2

ThatsMe2 Thread Starter

I'm working on a computer that operating system needs to be reinstalled. This is a Sony and their answer to operating sytem issues is reformat and reinstall. So, I"m wondering if I can just upgrade with XP. At this time, I am not able to access windows at all.

Thank you.

2. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Sure, but don't do an upgrade install. You can do a full install with an XP upgrade CD and save yourself about $100.00. Just have your Win ME CD available to put in when the install asks for it. This will verify your license and allow you to run XP. Just set the computer to boot from CD, put in the XP CD, delete partitions, format, repartition, and install. Easy.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

XP wants more memory than ME (pardon the language) did . . 256 is the practical minimum with 512 being the sweet spot.

It's a good idea to check for a updated BIOS also.

wrs

4. llsee

llsee

First Name:
    Larry
    I just recently (3 weeks ago) upgraded a Sony VAIO laptop from ME to XP-SP2. At the Sony support web site they had a list of about 20 patches that were recommended for my system for XP. I found that 12 of them were applicable to my situation. They did include a BIOS update that was required BEFORE the installation of XP. The remaining patches included both new hardware drivers and software updates for Sony specific software or software that came preloaded on my laptop. At the very least you should check the recommended updates for your system and decide which may be applicable to your situation.

Also, my laptop has an AMD Athlon processor running at 900mhz and only 256k of ram. Since the upgrade, I have noticed that it does run somewhat slower than my 3ghz P4 desktop, but not horribly so. In fact, it runs just as fast as it did with ME. And the improved stability of XP over ME is well worth the upgrade.

5. ThatsMe2

ThatsMe2 Thread Starter

Ack...I'm trying to avoid reformatting. As far as having ME discs available for certification, I have sony's discs which don't allow you to access ME without doing a full system restore. This is real frustrating to me I've seen lots of oem operating systems, but never in the format Sony provides.

My concerns on reformatting....right now they have a hard drive with 2 partitions, I could copy data files to the second partion but would like to be able to preserve their emails, favorites, addresses, etc. Is there anywhere I could find a list of file locations to make sure I don't miss something? I may have a hard drive I could throw in temporarily I guess. Am I correct in thinking it wouldn't have to be recognized through windows to access it?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This will be sure the second partition does not become damaged in the reinstallation ( which happens sometimes). Will also allow you to delete all partitions and set up the one (s) you want going forward.

This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

You can use any ME or Win98 cd when it asks for one.

wrs

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice