1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade video card or go PCI-E?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spycaper51, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spycaper51

spycaper51 Thread Starter

6 year old Dell Dimension 4600
    "Dell Computer Corp." Brand i1865P Mother board.
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 GS AGP
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz (single core)
    1,256 MB DDR RAM
    350 Watt PSU
    1280x768 Monitor
    2.1 Sound Card
    2 MBS Internet Connection (Fiber Wire)

So tell me, should I upgrade my PSU to 450 Watts and upgrade my Video Card to a x1950PRO video card or should I upgrade my PSU and Motherboard to a PCI-E mother board?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Upgrading the motherboard in a Dell Case is going to be a trick. Dell Motherboards and Cases are propriatary, meaning the motherboard and case are designed to match, finding a motherboard that will fit the case is going to be a problem, unless it comes from Dell which is an expensive upgrade. By the same token, fitting a Dell Motherboard into a 3rd party case is going to be a chore as the IO shield will not be right.

3. gatewaypc700

gatewaypc700

Can you not replace the IO shield. We did it with an HP.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is possible, though it depends on the case. I have two Dimensions here, case appears the same but the IO shield are of different sizes between them. It is possible if necessary to run with out an IO Shield though not advised.

Case switches and Front port wiring would have to be worked on to match the new motherboard, but that should not be too difficult. And of course the power supply may be proprietary. But given that Dell uses Crappy Power Supplies of lower power that should be replaced anyway.

5. Jones

Jones

It really depends on what you want to be able to do after you upgrade.

If you're planning on gaming, then your processor will be a huge bottleneck.

If gaming is your intent, you'd be far better off building a whole new system than trying to ressurect your current machine.

You'd need to get a new:

PSU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    CPU and cooler
    Video Card

If you're just using if for basic computing and things like watching movies, then a simple video card / PSU upgrade might be worth it.

If it were me, I'd start pricing out a new system. My two coppers.

6. spycaper51

spycaper51 Thread Starter

Why yes, yes I am in fact trying to upgrade my Computer so I can play games.

Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod, namely.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice