1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Audioman1, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audioman1

Audioman1 Thread Starter

I want to upgrade my video card to the Chaintech SA6600 GeForce 6600 AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI card tomorrow, Will I have to reinstall my O/S or is there a trick too it?

ABS Awesome 3300
    --XP Home sp-1 & sp-2
    --Aspire Full Tower Case w/ Side Panel Window and 420W PS (Blue)
    --AMD Athlon XP 2600+/333 FSB 512K Barton
    --Koolance EXOS-AL Liquid Cooling System
    --Koolance CPU-300-H06 CPU Cooler
    --Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2 Ultra400 Dual Channel DDR (Motherboard)
    --Albatron GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR DVI/TV-out (Video Card) :rolleyes:

2. tajaemax

tajaemax

It should go without saying that you should back up anything critical anyway, but you shouldn't have to reinstall the OS when switching from one nVidia to another. Personally I would uninstall the drivers then switch cards and install newer drivers. Do yourself a favor though and download the latest drivers from nVidia (Chaintech doesn't always send the most current versions with their cards). If you have problems there is a program (can't think of the name right now) that will completely get rid of all of your old drivers so that you can have a fresh install.

Since you say tomorrow I'm assuming it's too late to try and talk you into a 6600GT.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

It's easy. Just install the latest NVidia drivers, then switch the cards. They use the same drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice