1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade video card ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Counselor 0331, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Counselor 0331

Counselor 0331 Thread Starter

I am computer illiterate.... but addicted to Half Life (the original) multiplayer. My wife is about to purchase a new Dell Inspiron 531s, with Vista Premium. It comes with an Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 video card (chip?).
    I obviously want HL to run optimally.
    My questions:
    Is this video graphic card sufficient ?
    If not, can I purchase a video card later and install it into this computer?
    Or do I need to upgrade at the time of purchase?
    If I can purchase later, What video card would you suggest in the mid-level price range (HL is really the only game I play).
    thanks

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

For the original Half Life, any card should be sufficient to play this game, including the one supplied with the Dell.

If going for Half Life 2 then a new discreet graphics card would be advised.

3. Counselor 0331

Just to be sure, the video card purchased with the Dell is sufficient for Half Life on-line multiplayer [steam] ?

4. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Well kind of, because your going to have alot of trouble playing half life because your video card is onboard, which is very bad for games, including unreal tournament 99. You have to use low settings to play decently.

5. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

You really shouldn't rely on a card like that...Just grab a low budget piece compatible with DX10 as you are getting Vista. You may want to play a newer game sooner or later...Search for the Geforce 8500GT or the Radeon HD 2600Pro/2600XT. They are not the best gaming solutions but they are cheap and new! :)

6. pjhutch

pjhutch

7. Counselor 0331

so there is nothing preventing me from upgrading the video card for this Dell at a later time ?

8. tom6049

tom6049

You might simply want to customize it and add in the optional GeForce 8600GT.

9. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

i know he's playing half life 1, i didn't say anything about half life 2.

10. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

if you dont want to install the card yourself, i'd just spend a little extra cash and get the 8600GT installed by the factory. It's DX10, and has very good mainstream performance for the price. It's like the equivalent of a 7600 GT with DX10 capability.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice