1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erich41, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erich41

erich41 Thread Starter

I am overwhelmed by the huge selection of video cards available to upgrade my card. I would appreciate a recommendation so that I don't purchase a card that doesn't fit with my system and so that I don't spend more than needed. I want better graphics for screensavers, videos, and maybe some light gaming. Price range around $50-$60. I probably just need to upgrade to 256 MB. ? Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Current card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    RAM Mem: 1.5 Gig
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 3100+ (1800 mhz)
    System: ECS nforce 3-A
    Win XP, SP2

2. markomus

markomus

3. erich41

erich41 Thread Starter

Thanks Markomus,

I don't know if I have a PCIe slot or not but my Auslogics system info report says that I have 6 system slots with the motherboard and 9 ports. Do you think the PCIe slot is a safe assumption (not there is such a thing as a safe assumption)?

4. markomus

markomus

The only way to know without a doubt is to open the case and visually identify a PCIe slot. Otherwise I can't really determine for certain (from all the Google searches I've done) whether that will work in your system. I'd have to see a direct photo or inspect it in person. The card you have in there now appears to be only of the AGP family and you're not likely to find a board with both AGP and PCIe. But like I always say when working with computers, "Don't 'think'; make sure" (Well...I always say that, anyway :) ).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/638640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice